[comp.mail.misc] How to use IP addresses in mail

saroff@JVNCF.CSC.ORG (Steve Saroff lac00001) (11/30/89)

Does anyone out there know how to use IP addresses (e.g. 128.121.51.2) in
mailing addresses.  One would hope that since you can telnet to such numbers
you can mail to them.

Thanks.

SzS

Dr. S.Z. Saroff
John von Neumann National Supercomputer Center   bitnet:   saroff@jvncc
665 College Road East, P.O. Box 3717             internet: saroff@jvnca.csc.org
Princeton, NJ 08543   (609) 520-2000                       saroff@jvncf.csc.org

               o o
               (_)_____o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(_____)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  oo oo          The Bear who Swims

sow@cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) (11/30/89)

/usr/lib/sendmail user@[128.121.51.2]
To: user@host
From: me
Subject: Test

This is a test message
^D

Sven-Ove Westberg, CAD, University of Lulea, S-951 87 Lulea, Sweden.
Internet: sow@cad.luth.se

cfe+@andrew.cmu.edu (Craig F. Everhart) (12/01/89)

Sure, you just mail to user@[11.22.33.44] .

Often you'll be stymied by the remote SMTP server, though, not
recognizing such names as local, so you may get rejections from Sendmail
saying that it refuses to talk to itself.  There's no cure but for the
target administrator to fix the sendmail.cf file to recognize explicit
dotted-quads, alas, and that notification is hard to do when the whole
problem is to get mail working in the first place.

Admins, check your config files!  Can you accept mail to your IP addresses?

		Craig Everhart

perand@nada.kth.se (Per Andersson) (12/08/89)

In article <1407@ulmo1.mt.luth.se> Sven-Ove Westberg <sow@cad.luth.se> writes:

>/usr/lib/sendmail user@[128.121.51.2]
>To: user@host
>From: me
>Subject: Test
>
>This is a test message
>^D

This does not always work, depending on the sendmail configuration, and how
your system admins thought it ought to work. If I try this, it will be shipped
to our central mail-machine for our domain, who will resolve the IP-number
to a name, and lookup that name. In my case it doesn't exist so I get a
'failed mail' back. Also using tcsh, I had to use 'user@[xxx.yyy.zzz.ccc'.

Per
--
Per Andersson
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden