[comp.mail.misc] Installing UUCP on a Next

byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) (12/01/89)

Does anyone out there have any experience installing
uucp on a NeXT machine?  I have done everything I can think of that
is required, but still no uucp.  NeXT considers uucp an unsupported
product and gives very limited documentation and no tech support
to assist me.  Am I missing something important?

Brian Yoder
(Mail me a response if you wish at csun!smcnet!byoder)

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (12/06/89)

From article <378@smcnet.UUCP>, by byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder):

> NeXT considers uucp an unsupported
> product and gives very limited documentation and no tech support
> to assist me.

Holy shit!  uucp an unsupported product?!  Ack!  Does anybody know
why uucp is an unsupported product on a NeXT, 'cause I don't see
us getting them if they don't have uucp.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.

byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) (12/06/89)

Hold on a minute there...When I said "unsupported" I didn't mean
that it wasn't in there.  I meant that NeXT doesn't offer "support"
for uucp.  In other words, the info in the manuals is limited, and
the tech support folks don't answer questions.  Everything seems
to be properly loaded onto the system, I am just having a hard time
getting it configured properly.

Brian Yoder
(ucla-cs!smcnet!byoder)

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (12/06/89)

In article <384@smcnet.UUCP> byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) writes:
>that it wasn't in there.  I meant that NeXT doesn't offer "support"
>for uucp.  In other words, the info in the manuals is limited, and
>the tech support folks don't answer questions.  Everything seems

I understand that it is just a matter of priority.  There are
only so many programmers to go around anywhere, and they would
rather put them to work on Apps to go into /NextApps, rather
than standard Unix fares.

They must figure that, with enough Unix wizards roaming around
the universe, problems with uucp will be worked out without
NeXT getting involved directly.
I think this applies to most of the standard but obscure BSD
commands.

Izumi Ohzawa
izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) (12/07/89)

I didn't mean for that statement to be taken as a complaint, it was merely
a statement of fact.  I realize that NeXT only has a finite number of programmers
and that they couldn't "NeXTify" everything in the box in the first release.
In the future I would expect them to include some kind of uucp admin.
package, but for now all I want to do is get my machine working.

Brian

sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) (12/08/89)

In article <388@smcnet.UUCP> byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) writes:
>and that they couldn't "NeXTify" everything in the box in the first release.
>In the future I would expect them to include some kind of uucp admin.
>package, but for now all I want to do is get my machine working.

I have seen a "NeXTified" UUCP program on a Businessland demo disk called
"PostMaster" writen by Glenn C. Reid.  I'm not sure when it will be
publically released but you can mail him at:
{sun,decwrl,apple}!adobe!heaven!glenn

His mailing address is part of the help screen, so I assume that he
wouldn't mind mail.  Hopefully.  Just don't attach my name to it :-)

BTW, it does look like a nice program, esp. for people who don't know
anything about setting up UUCP (like me).

--
<<<     sstanfie@polyslo.calpoly.edu
-/-    	Campus Consultant for NeXT