[comp.mail.misc] Site setup costs

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (12/11/89)

In article <9375@microsoft.UUCP> stevesc@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) writes:
Dan Mocsny had previously written:
>>Starting your own site is not really out of the question, if you have
>>about $5k to spend (386 AT clone with 4 MB RAM + >120 MB disk), UNIX
>
>Now this is not such useful information.  It's quite wrong.  I run a
>site of my own at home that I have less than $500 invested in.  I had
>it running for a while on a $400 dual-floppy XT clone running DOS and
>UUPC.  Although two 360K floppies were not enough space for me to take
>a news feed comfortably, I could have done it if I kept the feed
>small.  Mail ran perfectly well on the dual-floppy system, and I
>didn't come close to running out of space.  I since added a disk for
>about $80 (a controller at a discount store and a 10-meg drive that a
>friend gave me after upgrading), which gave me enough space for what
>is a _lot_ of news for one person.  If all I had on it was mail and
>news, it would still be almost empty.

Methinks Dan was talking about a public-access UNIX site.  You seem
to be discussing a small personal machine.  I suspect that you must
be running a very tight expire on your full news feed, and perhaps
your users might have a bit of trouble getting in on your multiple
lines.  :-)  I'd hate to even think how long it takes you to uncompress
and unbatch 120K incoming news batches with your setup.

IMHO Dan's figure of ~$5K for startup is quite accurate, and after
that you start spending more.  [eg:  I just put another 8 megs of
RAM in this box, and am now looking for some BIOS that'll talk to
my new scsi controller so that I can bring the new 380 meg drive
online.]  Now, if only Ma Bell would get that cable run for my 3rd
phone line....

>Setting up the UUPC software was simple.  I expaneded the UUPC ARC
>file, created directories as advised in the readme file, and arranged
>my mail and news feeds.  My first link's uucp login script took some
>work to set up, but the other ones were pretty much like the readme
>suggested.

Again, this sounds great for a single-user mail site.  When you start
adding users and downstream feeds you will discover some limitations.

>	Steve Schonberger	microsoft!stevesc@uunet.uu.net

  Ed. A. Hew      SCO Authorized Instructor     XeniTec Consulting Services
  edhew@xenitec.on.ca	       -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew