[comp.mail.misc] ukc breaking its own rules?

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/04/89)

The UK maps as posted in comp.mail.maps contain:

>#	Copyright 1989 by EUUG. All rights reserved.
>#	Permission to redistribute and use for routing purposes granted.

Fine. But how does this jive with a letter I received recently? The
letter was addressed to:

Evan Leibovitch
System Telly
[address]

The ONLY place I am identified this way is in the UUCP maps!

The contents? An advertisement for "The Miranda Functional Programming
System", from a commercial venture called Research Software Ltd. in the UK.

So which site supplied the Usenet mailing list for commercial purpose?

Hmm. There's an e-mail address given: mira-request@ukc.ac.uk - the
University of Kent, the UK Usenet gateway! Inside the ad we are
introduced to the inventor of Miranda, Kent Professor David Turner.

So we have the University of Kent either engaging in commercial
activities itself, or allowing its facilities to be used for commercial
purposes.

I infer from this, but cannot state categorically, that Kent was the
source of the Usenet maps used for the mailing. If true, this is quite
surprising, since Kent maintains the UK maps and is probably responsible
for their copyright message.

Does this blatantly commercial act contravene the copyright on the UK
maps that Kent itself maintains? If the map data was taken without Kent's
consent, how will the university discipline one of its own professors?

While I am not bothered by the mailing itself, I hope this points out
the hypocricy of Kent's practice of segregating commercial sites (*.co.uk)
from academic ones (*.ac.uk). Further, I am told by more than one source
that it costs far less for an academic site to access Usenet in the UK
than a commercial one.

In light of the obvious overlap, that indeed commercial organizations
engage in research and academic institutions sometimes engage in (or
endorse) commercial ventures, is the segregation not unfair?

Even the Miranda prices are four times higher for educational use than
commercial. Another example of a product priced on the intended use, not
the cost of making it.
--
  Evan Leibovitch, Telly Computing, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
          evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416)452-0504

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (12/06/89)

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>The UK maps as posted in comp.mail.maps contain:

>>#	Copyright 1989 by EUUG. All rights reserved.
>>#	Permission to redistribute and use for routing purposes granted.

>Fine. But how does this jive with a letter I received recently? The
>letter was addressed to:

>Evan Leibovitch
>System Telly
>[address]

>The ONLY place I am identified this way is in the UUCP maps!

>The contents? An advertisement for "The Miranda Functional Programming
>System", from a commercial venture called Research Software Ltd. in the UK.

>So which site supplied the Usenet mailing list for commercial purpose?

>Hmm. There's an e-mail address given: mira-request@ukc.ac.uk - the
>University of Kent, the UK Usenet gateway! Inside the ad we are
>introduced to the inventor of Miranda, Kent Professor David Turner.

You are correct that they got your name from the maps,  they got me from
the same place.   I have been in contact with uknet@ukc.ac.uk and it appears
that the list was taken from an old, non copyright, version of the map.

I am told that all map derived addresses have now been purged from the
mailing list.

I suggest that is you still get mail from them you mail uknet@ukc.ac.uk
and ask that they check it out BEFORE posting a flame to the net.

John Pettitt				UUCP:  uunet!slxsys!jpp
Internet: John.Pettitt@specialix.co.uk	JANET: emxxjpp@uk.ac.brunel.me
POTS: +44 1 941 2564			FAX:   +44 1 941 4098
Disclaimer: Me, say that ?  Never, it's a forged posting !

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (12/11/89)

From article <257A85B0.6E59@telly.on.ca>, by evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch):
> Fine. But how does this jive with a letter I received recently? The
> letter was addressed to:

> Evan Leibovitch
> System Telly

> The ONLY place I am identified this way is in the UUCP maps!

It was probably an old map - I got one of these as well and I havent been
in the map entries for quite some time (I was listed as contact person for
uk.co.bt.kyns last summer). Try asking uknet@ukc.ac.uk.

> While I am not bothered by the mailing itself, I hope this points out
> the hypocricy of Kent's practice of segregating commercial sites (*.co.uk)
> from academic ones (*.ac.uk). Further, I am told by more than one source
> that it costs far less for an academic site to access Usenet in the UK
> than a commercial one.

And doesnt the US segregate as well ???? or are the .edu and .com domains
something other than direct equivalents of .ac and .co as I had always
assumed. (there seem to be far too many domains floating around).

-Pete.

--
       -Pete French.               | "The rhythm's gone,
  British Telecom Research Labs.   |  The radio's dead.