[comp.mail.misc] Mailing between UNIX and DOS

drich@dialogic.uucp (Dan Rich) (12/13/89)

  Here at Dialogic, we have two networks.  Our UNIX network runs over
ethernet, and our DOS network runs over starlan.  Our problem lies in
sending mail between the two networks.

  Recently we installed Racal/Interlan's Gateway to connect the two
networks.  Now, this works well for file transfer and remote logins,
but their mail software is horrible.  Their SMTP product will send
mail to UNIX, and they have a program that will accept incomming mail
from UNIX and store it in the system mailbox.  Unfortunately, neither
of these is compatable with Novell mail, and Interlan's mail program
is almost unusable.

  I have attempted to install the DOS version of Mush, but I don't
know how to get it to look in the system mailbox.  (The Novell mailbox
is a file named after your userid.  I don't know where to find the
userid.)  I also haven't been able to make it work with smtpmail
instead of uupc.

  Has anyone worked with the Interlan Gateway product and mail?  Does
anyone know of a solution for mailing between UNIX and DOS?  At this
point, I am willing to look at almost any option.  Please mail me your

Dan Rich                    | ARPA: drich%dialogic@uunet.uu.net
UNIX Systems Administrator  | UUCP: uunet!dialogic!drich
Dialogic Corporation        | - Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime, doubly so. -
(201) 334-8450 x213         |                           Douglas Adams

cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) (12/13/89)

drich@dialogic.uucp (Dan Rich) writes:

>  Recently we installed Racal/Interlan's Gateway to connect the two
>networks.  Now, this works well for file transfer and remote logins,
>but their mail software is horrible.  Their SMTP product will send
>mail to UNIX, and they have a program that will accept incomming mail
>from UNIX and store it in the system mailbox.  Unfortunately, neither
>of these is compatable with Novell mail, and Interlan's mail program
>is almost unusable.

One other thing you will find is that if you upgrade your Novell to (in the
case of Advanced NetWare) v2.1x, MAIL ceases to exist; it's not provided on the
new system. This is a bit of a pain, but not a bad idea (Novell Mail is, in my
and many people at my office's opinion, crap. [Not here at UEA, but a company I
work for in the holidays]. I don't know if there are other MAIL systems
available for Novell (there's always Coordinator, but that's a bit big if you
only want a simple message passing facility)

>                                        ...  (The Novell mailbox
>is a file named after your userid.  I don't know where to find the
>userid.)

Nor do I - if anyone knows PLEASE tell me, cos it'll make my life so much
easier. It must be fairly accessible, cos SYSCON does it at will.

	Dave Cartwright, UEA, Norwich, ENGLAND.

Note : I think Novell mail is pretty awful; you may disagree, but that's only
       my opinion, so don't shout at me or anything like that.
       Also, I doubt whether UEA (my university) share my views; I am not
       referring to any of their systems in this article, only those of the
       company I work for in the holidays.