[comp.mail.misc] Re^2: Smail 3.X

rolff@mosh.UUCP (Anders Rolff) (12/19/89)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Both machines correctly inserted the date, but smail 3.1 lost the From_ line.
>While this isn't RFC822, it's what Version 2 UUCP generates. It should be
>handled by smail.

Are you saying that Smail 3.1 doesn't generate a From_ before passing
the message to uux? In that case you're wrong.

Here's a piece of /usr/lib/smail/transports:

# uux - deliver to the rmail program on a remote UUCP site
uux:	driver = pipe,
	uucp,				# use UUCP-style addressing forms
	from,				# supply a From_ envelope line
	max_addrs = 5,			# at most 5 addresses per invocation
	max_chars = 200;		# at most 200 chars of addresses

	# the -r flag prevents immediate delivery, parentheses around the
	# $user variable prevent special interpretation by uux.
	cmd = "/usr/bin/uux - -r $host!rmail $(($user)$)",
	umask = 0022,
	pipe_as_sender

--Anders

In article <106@mosh.UUCP> rolff@mosh.UUCP (Anders Rolff) writes:
> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Both machines correctly inserted the date, but smail 3.1 lost the From_ line.
> >While this isn't RFC822, it's what Version 2 UUCP generates. It should be
> >handled by smail.

> Are you saying that Smail 3.1 doesn't generate a From_ before passing
> the message to uux? In that case you're wrong.

No, I didn't say that. Look at the messages again. Smail 2.5 read my name
(peter) from the From_ line on ficc, and copied it to the From_ line that
was on the message sent to texbell. Smail 3.1 ignored the From_ line and
invented one (From Postmaster...) and put it on the From_ line that it
sent to sugar.

Any mail I send via texbell ends up being From_ texbell!Postmaster. Mail
sent via uunet, sugar, or any of our local machines (running System V
3.0 on Arix 1100s) works just fine.

ficc
	System: Xenix 286, (System III based).
	Mailer: Vanilla Xenix mail, using Version 2 UUCP style headers.

texbell
	System: System V (I think) on an NCR Tower.
	Mailer: Smail 3.1

sugar
	System: System V/386 on a clone.
	Mailer: Smail 2.5