[comp.mail.misc] Re^4: Smail 3.X

rolff@mosh.UUCP (Anders Rolff) (12/21/89)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>No, I didn't say that. Look at the messages again. Smail 2.5 read my name
>(peter) from the From_ line on ficc, and copied it to the From_ line that
>was on the message sent to texbell. Smail 3.1 ignored the From_ line and
>invented one (From Postmaster...) and put it on the From_ line that it
>sent to sugar.

IC. I don't seem to have this problem at my site, though. Maybe you have an
old Smail 3.1 version?

--Anders

rolff@mosh.UUCP (Anders Rolff) (12/21/89)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>No, I didn't say that. Look at the messages again. Smail 2.5 read my name
>(peter) from the From_ line on ficc, and copied it to the From_ line that
>was on the message sent to texbell. Smail 3.1 ignored the From_ line and
>invented one (From Postmaster...) and put it on the From_ line that it
>sent to sugar.

Hm.. I took a closer look at uucp/smail and found that you're correct.
I'm not certain, for the moment, if the erroneous From_ line comes from smail
or uucp. Check this out:

$ cat test

From foo@bar.se Wed Dec 20 19:13:40 1989
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 19:13 CET
From: rolff (Anders Rolff)
To: rolff
Subject: foo

bar

$ rmail rolff <test

In my mailbox:

From bar.se!foo Wed Dec 20 19:54:34 1989
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 19:13 CET
From: rolff (Anders Rolff)
To: rolff

bar

As you see, rmail works perfectly alright.

--Anders (rolff@komunity.se)