[comp.mail.misc] looking for smail v3

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (12/30/89)

In article <1989Dec29.050722.1095@keysec.kse.com> scott@keysec.kse.com (Scott Bartram) writes:
> Does anyone know where to get smail version 3? Preferably via uucp.

The following mail I received from Ron Karr should answer most of your
questions:

# Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 06:36 PST
# From: uunet!tolsoft!tron (Ron Karr)
# Subject: Re: Smail 3.X
#
# >Good morning(?).  It was posted on Usenet that Smail 3.1.18 was available
# >from you.  I am currently installing 2.5 on an SCO XENIX/286 SYS V 2.3.2
# >system, and I would just as soon install the latest version.
#
# That would explain the recent increase in requests.  We have recently
# been releasing Smail3 to just about anybody who asks for it nicely
# enough, though keep in mind three things:
#
# 1.  Smail3.1.18 is not the official world-wide release.  Work on that
#     is currently derailed while I attend to finishing up a large project
#     at work.  However, work will continue in January on the prelude to
#     the final release.
#
# 2.  The distribution is quite large (the distribution is 1.2meg of
#     compressed uuencoded files, or an uncompressed 2.4meg tar archive).
#
# 3.  The smail binary itself will eat up quite a bit of memory.  This is
#     not a problem for most modern UNIX systems, though 286 users do report
#     that the system sort of stops for a while whenever mail comes in.
#
# However, Smail3 is a very powerful mailer, and a number of 286 users still
# prefer it even though it is such a burden on the 286 architecture.
#
# We are directly connected to uunet, so (if you want) we can mail it to
# you directly through uunet.
#
#	tron  |-<=>-|		ARPAnet:  tron%tolsoft@apple.com
#       tron@tolerant.com	UUCPnet:  {amdahl,apple,hoptoad}!tolsoft!tron
--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD, CFII, CFIG             Cherokee 235 N9212W
UUCP: ...!uunet!slvblc!dick                  GEnie: FLANAGAN