[comp.mail.misc] Sendmail in Perl

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (02/09/90)

According to merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz):
>According to lwall@jpl-devvax (Larry Wall):
>| Actually, I was thinking about what I'd need to write the new rn in perl.
>| I don't want to rewrite sendmail.  (Not consciously, anyway.  :-)
>
>But Larry!  You could write the "canonical sendmail", and then all the
>rewrite rules would be in Perl, and user's customized delivery scripts
>would be handled by 'do $HOMEOF{$user} . "/.deliver.pl";', and
>everything would be wonderful!  But, get 'rn' in Perl finished first.

The similarity of Randal's hypothetical ".deliver.pl" to my real
".deliver" can't be a cooincidence.  Deliver (currently at version
2.0; patch five will be out soon) executes scripts to control mail
delivery.  User delivery scripts are named "$HOME/.deliver".

As distributed, Deliver runs scripts with "/bin/sh", and I'd say
that's a reasonable default for user delivery files.  But system
delivery files can be complex, especially if you're attempting to
parse network addresses.  Perl is an excellent choice for such jobs.

So, in a manner of speaking, Sendmail in Perl already exists.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (02/10/90)

In article <25D2D161.124C@tct.uucp>, chip@tct (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
| The similarity of Randal's hypothetical ".deliver.pl" to my real
| ".deliver" can't be a cooincidence.  Deliver (currently at version
| 2.0; patch five will be out soon) executes scripts to control mail
| delivery.  User delivery scripts are named "$HOME/.deliver".

Yup.  I *wondered* why that sounded sooooo familiar!

| So, in a manner of speaking, Sendmail in Perl already exists.

You speak rather funny, then. :-)

$_ = "Just another sendmail hacker,"; s/sendmail/Perl/; print;
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |