[net.news.group] net.* -> world.*

tombre@crin.UUCP (Karl Tombre) (03/21/86)

>> While we're on the subject of renaming net groups, this seems
>> to be a good time to think about renaming net.* to world.* ...
>> Thus would reflect the true cosmopolitan nature of the network,
>> and force Americans to realise that net.* is not just usa.*. (1/2 * :-))
>
>Good idea! This also might cut down on the used car ads from New Jersey
>(although I'm not sure if any of the people placing those realizes that
>nj != the universe).

Yes indeed. As this matter comes up, I am going to mention something I first
didn't intend to. Some days ago, a discussion started on the net about
creating a dave letterman group on the net. I am sorry sirs, but I don't
know this guy. He must be an american phenomenon, isn't he? Well I put the
"dave letterman" string in my kill file, but in the following days I saw
many junked articles on this subject. So I thought : perhaps are they going
to poll the net on that matter. This comes back to another discussion about
the use of polling. In my case, as I have never heard of D. L., I told my
kill file to junk all those articles, and hence I would never be able to
vote for or against it. Why not keep the dave letterman issue local to na?

Another point about the used car ads from new jersey (or the missing earring
from anywhere) : one thing is that it is a bad habit to flood the net
worldwide with such stuff. But worse is that for every one of these
postings, we see 10 or more flames which are also posted worldwide!! I admit
I was tempted to do the same in the beginning, but after thinking a little
about it, I found it very stupid and stopped flaming people on such matters.
And if you cannot hold back : please MAIL, do not post to the net.

One question remains : are all the people on the net really able to
*think* ? :-)

--
--- Karl Tombre @ CRIN (Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy)
UUCP:    ...!vmucnam!crin!tombre  or    ...!inria!crin!tombre

Les plus desesperes sont les chants les plus beaux,
Et j'en sais d'immortels qui sont de purs sanglots.

       Alfred de Musset.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/24/86)

In article <154@crin.UUCP> tombre@crin.UUCP (Karl Tombre) writes:
>Another point about the used car ads from new jersey (or the missing earring
>from anywhere) : one thing is that it is a bad habit to flood the net
>worldwide with such stuff. But worse is that for every one of these
>postings, we see 10 or more flames which are also posted worldwide!!

I like the flames about the missing earring from anywhere.  They are usually
quite funny.  << Uh, we looked in Miami, London, New York, etc., uh are you
sure it's yours, I once lost an earring too you know, etc. >>  Those responses
crack me up!  Sort of reminds you of how big the net is.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720