[comp.mail.misc] Finding login ids

leviatan@caen.engin.umich.edu (David Disser) (02/08/90)

Is there any standard convention for finding a specific person's id if you
know the address?  I finally dug up the right addresses for a few friends
at various universities, but I still have to find what ids to mail to.
Thanks in advance.

Dave

davecb@yunexus.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (02/10/90)

leviatan@caen.engin.umich.edu (David Disser) writes:
>Is there any standard convention for finding a specific person's id if you
>know the address?  I finally dug up the right addresses for a few friends
>at various universities, but I still have to find what ids to mail to.
>Thanks in advance.

Yup:
	(echo "$person"; echo) | telnet $machine 79"

will get you something like
yunexus:/ycs/davecb> telnet nexus 79
Trying...
Connected to nexus.yorku.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.
davecb
Login name: davecb                      In real life: David Collier-Brown
Directory: /ycs/davecb                  Shell: /usr/local/bin/sylogin
On since Feb  8 08:50:09 on ttyp0 from icarus:0.0
3 hours 57 minutes Idle Time
New mail received Fri Feb  9 14:16:19 1990;
  unread since Fri Feb  9 14:08:41 1990
Project:   My usual plan: appear to do nothing.
Plan:
Primary:
        summarize RFP bumpf
        think about criterias & rankings
Secondary:
        Try to do "managment by exception":

It's in "man 8 finger"

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (02/12/90)

On 9 Feb 90 19:26:14 GMT, davecb@yunexus.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) said:

David> leviatan@caen.engin.umich.edu (David Disser) writes:
>Is there any standard convention for finding a specific person's id if you
>know the address?  I finally dug up the right addresses for a few friends
>at various universities, but I still have to find what ids to mail to.
>Thanks in advance.

David> Yup:
David> 	(echo "$person"; echo) | telnet $machine 79"

Why use an unreadable '79' when 'finger' works just as well?

	(echo "$person"; echo) | telnet $machine finger"

Of course, on my machine I typically use 'finger person@machine.domain'
to get this same information. However, this is not much use unless the
machine is reachable (both parties connected via the Internet).

David> It's in "man 8 finger"

My man page on finger (SunOS) has this to say:

     If a username argument contains an at-sign, ``@'', then a
     connection is attempted to the machine named after the at-sign,
     and the remote finger daemon is queried.
--
Mark D. Baushke
mdb@ESD.3Com.COM