[comp.mail.misc] More dreams: one message one file?

crehta@tasu74.UUCP (Ran Ever-Hadani) (02/05/90)

Would it be *extremely* difficult to make mush recognise a
different folder structure: instead of a folder which is a
text file containing many messages, the folder will be a
directory in which each message resides in a seperate file.

I am currently dealing with the problem of reducing multiple
storage of messages; a mailer which recognises the folder
format of one-directory-one-folder one-message-one-file, will
enable a scheme using hard links, in which a message which
seems to be in many different folders (of different users
even) can still reside only once on disk.

BTW, are there mailers around which already work like this?

-- Ran
Disclaimer: The above is to be attributed to me only, not to any organization.
Apology: Bad English.  E-mailed spelling and style corrections are welcome.

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (02/13/90)

Ran Ever-Hadani writes:
 > Would it be *extremely* difficult to make mush recognise a
 > different folder structure: instead of a folder which is a
 > text file containing many messages, the folder will be a
 > directory in which each message resides in a seperate file.

I don't know about MUSH, but something like this is in the works for VM,
a mail reader that runs under GNU Emacs.  In the meantime you should
look into the Rand MH mailer.  I believe its default folder format is
one message per file.