[comp.mail.misc] How to deal with a recalcitrant postmaster?

karl_kleinpaste@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (02/22/90)

I run a few mid-sized mailing lists, that is, population in the ~200
range.  There's a number of list recipients for whom mail gets from
here to there via a Certain Well-Known Vendor.  Every 10 days or 2
weeks or thereabouts, the mailer and/or nameserver configuration at
this Vendor goes all to hell, and I start getting large numbers of
bounces aimed back at myself (as the "-request" address).  Now,
usually, when I get this sort of thing, and it's clear that it's a
local problem at the intermediate site, I just forward such stuff to
postmaster@that.site.  But this one Vendor postmaster's inability to
maintain a functioning mailer on a consistent basis is really
beginning to irritate me.  This has been going on for quite some
months now.

This Vendor is also the MX host for a Well-Known Network Services
Company, connected to the Vendor via UUCP.  If I were the Net Svc
Company, I'd be pretty @#$% irritated that my customers' mail was so
frequently trashed, but it's possible (if unlikely) that the Net Svc
Company isn't even aware of the problem.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this sort of situation?  My
forwardings to postmaster@Ven.dor have gotten alternately flammable
and sarcastic, but nothing has helped so far.  I could publicize
names, I suppose, but I'd really rather not do that; I just want the
mail to move more consistently.  No vendettas are on my mind.

--karl

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (03/01/90)

In article <KARL.90Feb22095055@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>My
>forwardings to postmaster@Ven.dor have gotten alternately flammable
>and sarcastic, but nothing has helped so far.

  As a fellow postmaster, the one thing I can 100% GUARANTEE is that this will
be ineffective. Anyone who abuses me from outside my organization has all
their mail sent to /dev/null (note that I am capable of seeing the difference
between abuse and constructive criticism; the latter is always welcomed,
because occasionally some of those suggestions are good ones!).

  I wasn't quite clear on the exact situation you are talking about. If the
site you are trying to reach via the ven.dor in question is really paying
ven.dor to provide this service, that's one thing; otherwise ven.dor has
NO OBLIGATION to forward your mail. If the service is that bad, then I'd
recommend that the people you are trying to get to find another place to
connect to. I've had some of my downstream UUCP mail sites bitch about some
of  our policies; my answer is that if they don't like the service we provide
to them FOR FREE, AT ZERO BENEFIT TO US, they are free to subscribe to UUNET
and PAY for service they will be entitled to bitch about, or else find another
sucker, er, connection with policies more to their liking. Good luck.
  Now, as to whether ven.dor should make an attempt to provide these services
as a PR measure, that's another issue. My point is that, unless this is a
paid-for service, they are under no OBLIGATION to do so nor to respond to
abuse from outsiders.

--Greg

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/01/90)

woods@ncar.ucar.edu writes:
   As a fellow postmaster, the one thing I can 100% GUARANTEE is that
   [flames/sarcasm] will be ineffective. Anyone who abuses me from outside my
   organization has all their mail sent to /dev/null...

Greg, please, chill out just a bit.  When things at this site first
started getting screwy some months back, I quite properly (and gently)
pointed out the bounces I was getting, and asked that things be fixed
so that things wouldn't bounce that way.

When it became clear that my forwarded bounces were at best getting
temporary fixes and nothing was done In The Large, I started getting a
bit uptight about it.  It broke again just yesterday.  I only got one
bounce for it, but I forwarded it to the relevant postmaster with the
one-word comment, "Bozos."  I think it's appropriate.  That can be
interpreted abusively, of course, but that's just the way it is.  I've
gotten a LOT of bounces.

As for obligation to forward mail, most of the mailing list recipients
for which I have trouble are employees of the vendor in question.  I
tend to think they'd have a somewhat more serious interest in their
own people getting their own mail.

Perhaps not, however.  When things have been badly enough broken, I've
found that I can't even get mail to administrative addresses.  For
example, last Thursday, I forwarded one of these bounces to
postmaster@ven.dor, only to have that bounce back at me also.  So I
tried the shotgun approach (domains changed to protect the guilty):

    To: postmaster@ven.dor, uucp@ven.dor, usenet@ven.dor, news@ven.dor,
        root@ven.dor, daemon@ven.dor, mailer-daemon@ven.dor,
        sys@ven.dor, adm@ven.dor, admin@ven.dor,
        lord-only-knows-who-else-i-will-fail-to-find@ven.dor

I got a bounce for every single one.

In article <KARL.90Feb28170326@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>woods@ncar.ucar.edu writes:
>   As a fellow postmaster, the one thing I can 100% GUARANTEE is that
>   [flames/sarcasm] will be ineffective
>
>Greg, please, chill out just a bit.

  There is no need for me to "chill out" since I am not upset. I am merely
using myself as an example to point out that flames and sarcasm will not be
met with a positive response no matter how many previous friendly messages
have been sent.

>As for obligation to forward mail, most of the mailing list recipients
>for which I have trouble are employees of the vendor in question.

   Sorry. That was not the impression I got from your original posting.

>I tend to think they'd have a somewhat more serious interest in their
>own people getting their own mail.

  Yes, so would I. In that case I would suspect that the answer is that this
vendor does not have anyone competent to maintain an Internet mailer for a
large site properly. As one who is paid to do that for a living, I can
testify as to how difficult this is to do. Even my mailer haas some known
problems. The trouble is, to fix those tends to break something else that
is more important to our users. Not only this, but such people are very hard
to find, as my current bosses can testify. They knew I could do  this job,
because I was already doing it unofficially, but I worked for another division
at the time, and for obvious reasons they do not like to lure employees
away from other divisions. They tried for several months to find someone
from outside and were unable to do so. Qualified postmasters are rare and
expensive. Now, you could possibly blast the vendor in question for not doing
what is necessary to get such a person, but if the problem is that they don't
have one, then calling the postmaster a bozo is not likely to motivate him/her
to try and help you.

--Greg