[comp.mail.misc] Replacing colons with periods in To-addresses

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar13.022102.14408@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
> In article <155@fts1.UUCP>, michael@fts1.UUCP (Michael Richardson) writes:
> >   I'd really like to know why uunet insists on playing with the the
> > internal (not envelope) From: and To: at all! (Usually deleting the
> > (name) portion of the From: so that I may have an address but no name
> > to associate it with...)
>
> As I understand it, uunet's sendmail.cf rewrites domain-style addresses into
> bang paths whenever it thinks it's talking to a site that only understands
> UUCP mail, whether that site in fact does or not.  A while back I asked
> much the same question and they said, "Oh, we'll change you from UUCP to
> INTERNET" or some such.  Since then, no more header munging.  Perhaps some
> site along the way is mistakenly listed as UUCP-style...

there seems to be a lot of problems with uunet in this respect.
For example, mail going thru uunet gets all bang paths stripped
off.  I tested this by having someone at a site that talks to
both sun and uunet via uucp send me mail to dheller@monet.berkeley.edu.
She added a return-receipt-to header as well.  Lines got changed, but
the two that "really mattered" for delivery purposes were From: and
the return-reciept.  They were changed to something like:

    From: uunet!user
    Return-Receipt-To: user@uunet.UU.NET

I considered these important differently than the munging it
did to the To: and return-* lines since the destination machine
cannot return receipt reliably.  The mail going thru sun got the
entire path retained properly. [%]  When I got my friend to
configure the mail headers to use @-style domain paths, it worked
by virtue of the fact that uunet didn't touch the headers.
Granted this is "correct", but I don't think this has anything
to do with why it does things "wrong" with the non-domain style
paths.

Who maintains the mail at uunet and if s/he reds this group(s)
can there be a comment of rationale for this behavior?

[%] Sun is poorly configured as well -- for example, it doesn't
understand "uunet.uu.net", but it *does* undersatnd "uunet.UU.NET".
I didn't know you could configure sendmail to be case sensitive...
and why would you?
dan
		    O'Reilly && Associates
		argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com
	   632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
     800-338-NUTS, in CA: 800-533-NUTS, FAX 707-829-0104
    Opinions expressed reflect those of the author only.