[comp.mail.misc] MMDF style UA for PC

sisrael@accur8.UUCP (Stephen Israel) (03/13/90)

I have written a POP client module for the public domain PC-IP package KA9Q.
Currently, I use this POP client to pick up mail from a POP server located on
a UNIX host. The mail is appended to mail box file in the PC. What I would
like to have, is a nice user agent (like "msg") on the PC for reading the
messages from the mailbox. Is anyone out there aware of a public domain UA that
runs on a PC?. Is there a version of MH that runs on a PC?.
-----
Stephen Israel
(201) 754 7714

In article <282@accur8.UUCP> sisrael@accur8.UUCP (Stephen Israel) writes:

   I have written a POP client module for the public domain PC-IP
   package KA9Q.

1) What version of POP?  They are not interoperable.
2) KA9Q is not public domain.  It is freely copyable by radio amateurs and
   educational institutions.  All others should contact karn@ka9q.bellcore.com
3) If it's POP3 for NOS, I'd like a copy.

   Is anyone out there aware of a public domain UA that runs on a PC?.

My 'Freemacs' text editor will have an RMAIL mode in release 1.6a.  This
lets you read and write mail per the KA9Q conventions.  The release will
be announced on comp.sys.ibm.pc and comp.emacs.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (03/14/90)

In article <282@accur8.UUCP> sisrael@accur8.UUCP () writes:
>  What I would
> like to have, is a nice user agent (like "msg") on the PC for reading the
> messages from the mailbox. Is anyone out there aware of a public domain UA that
> runs on a PC?. Is there a version of MH that runs on a PC?.

Mush works on a PC and understands MMDF style mailboxes.
(Mush is by no means restricted to these platforms, btw.)
For a free copy of the DOS-version of mush, mail to
lena!lmoc@uunet.uu.net or to schaefer@cse.ogi.edu.

dan
		    O'Reilly && Associates
		argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com
	   632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
     800-338-NUTS, in CA: 800-533-NUTS, FAX 707-829-0104
    Opinions expressed reflect those of the author only.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (03/15/90)

In article <NELSON.90Mar13164534@image.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
 >   Is anyone out there aware of a public domain UA that runs on a PC?.

I believe that someone has ported an older version of Mush to MS-DOS.
It should be available on SIMTEL20 in PD1:<MSDOS.UUCP> (or some
other plausable-sounding directory; the Internet connection is down
right now so I can't check).  It was designed to use UUPC as a back-end,
but since they supply the necessary changes to the source code, it
shouldn't be too hard to change it to whatever POP/KA9Q wants it to
be.

--
Marc Unangst                           | "The only limit to our realization of
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us    | tomorrow will be our doubts of today."