[comp.mail.misc] Internet <-> CompuServe Mail

heasley@bu-ast.bu.edu (Jim Heasley) (03/14/90)

Can someone tell me if there is a way to send mail to/from Internet to
CompuServe? My wife, who has signed up for CompuServe, said she thought
she saw something on that in one of my (now discarded) computer
magazines.  Looking at her CompuServe startup kit I see no mention of
Internet mail anywhere.  Please reply via direct e-mail as this isn't
one of the newsgroups I usually read.

Thanks,

Jim Heasley

Department of Astronomy
Boston University (on leave from Univeristy of Hawaii)

Internet:	heasley@bu-ast.bu.edu
Bitnet:		heasley@buasta

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/14/90)

heasley@bu-ast.bu.edu writes:
   Can someone tell me if there is a way to send mail to/from Internet to
   CompuServe?

Have your wife do this:
	go mail
	help internet
You'll get most any info you need from that.  If questions remain,
drop me a note.

--Karl Kleinpaste
Instigator of the Internet/CompuServe
Email Gateway

ziegast@umd5.umd.edu (Eric W. Ziegast) (03/20/90)

In article <53899@bu.edu.bu.edu> heasley@bu-ast.bu.edu (Jim Heasley) writes:
>Can someone tell me if there is a way to send mail to/from Internet to
>CompuServe? My wife, who has signed up for CompuServe, said she thought
>she saw something on that in one of my (now discarded) computer
>magazines.  Looking at her CompuServe startup kit I see no mention of
>Internet mail anywhere.  Please reply via direct e-mail as this isn't
>one of the newsgroups I usually read.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim Heasley

There are MANY (I mean it!) places you can reach if you have access to
uunet or the Internet, and if you can get to one of these two from your
network, it's just as good.

Below, I have two saved articles which show how to access CompuServe and
MCI Mail.

I also highly recommend a book from John S. Quarterman called "The Matrix"
((c) 1988, Digital Press). In is information on how to reach practically
every network in the world, from company sub-networks like VNET (IBM) to
uunet sub-nets from India to Europe to an outpost in Antarctica.

Sometimes I get mail from people asking "How do you get there from here?"
Between this book, a BITNET service (explained later), nslookup, and
uumap.tar.Z at uunet.uu.net, I've been able to find every request.

Some time ago, an administrator at American University, Jim McIntosh, made a
neat EXEC (IBM VM System) that handles queries for BITNET host information.

For more info, from a BITNET host:
(VMS)      SEND BITNODES@AUVM HELP
(VM)       TELL BITNODES@AUVM HELP

As for CompuServe and MCI, notice that they don't publish these things
for their users. I'm still looking for a back door to BIX (/wout DASnet).

Here are the two news articles on Compuserve and MCI:

################################# CompuServe ##############################
Article 37130 of comp.sys.ibm.pc
From: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Sending email from CompuServe to the Internet
Date: 13 Aug 89 06:07:00 GMT

[Give this to your friends who have CompuServe accounts.  -- Keith]

Now you can send Email back and forth through CompuServe to Internet,
Arpanet, Bitnet, and others.

 Internet

  Internet is an electronic mail system connecting governmental
  institutions, military branches, educational institutions, and
  commercial companies.  There is no surcharge to send or receive
  messages through Internet.  Only ASCII messages up to 50,000
  characters can be sent through this system.

  SENDING MESSAGES FROM COMPUSERVE TO INTERNET USERS

  To send a message to an Internet address you must use a special
  addressing format.  The command is:

  Send to (Name or User ID): >INTERNET:  recipient address@domain

  For example:
  Send to (Name or User ID): >INTERNET:Jdoe@abc.michigan-state.edu

  Where ">INTERNET:" is required to send your message to the Internet
  system.  "Jdoe" is the valid address used by this recipient on the
  Internet system.  The "@" tells the system that the domain address is
  following.  The "abc.michigan-state.edu" is the domain address.

  Note:

  - Domain address elements must be separated by periods and the domain
  must be separated from the recipient's address by the "@" character
  with no spaces.

  - The ">INTERNET:" is essential.  It alerts the CompuServe system
  that your message is going to a remote mail location.  Remember to
  include the ">" sign.

  - You can have a space after the ">INTERNET:" or have no space.

  - The correct valid address used by the subscriber on the Internet
  system is essential.  Without the exact address used by the
  recipient, the message will not be delivered.

  - The amount of time it takes to deliver an Internet message varies
  from a half hour to two days.  This is a function of Internet and
  CompuServe is not responsibe for this time frame.

  - Internet and non-Internet addresses may be included in the same
  SEND, separated by semi-colons.

  Undeliverable messages

  If your message is undeliverable, it usually will be returned to you
  along with the text of your message.  Whether the message is actually
  returned to you depends on the remote mail system, but you always
  will receive notification if your message cannot be delivered.

  Confirmation/Receipts

  Requests for receipts will be generated only when the message leaves
  CompuServe and is transmitted into Internet.  Receipts to indicate
  when the user actually receives the message are not available through
  Internet.

  RECEIVING MESSAGES THROUGH INTERNET

  CompuServe allows a message to be received from the Internet system
  to your mailbox.

  Format

  The Internet user needs your correct Internet address to send a
  message to your mailbox.  Your address is:

       1 - Your User ID with the comma changed to a period.
       2 - The CompuServe domain which is "compuserve.com"
       3 - The correct addressing format  to  send  the  message.   This
       format varies from one system to another.  Typically, the address
       is shown as "User ID@compuserve.com".  For example:

            12345.412@compuserve.com

  The sender should check at his/her mail location for the correct
  format.  Remember - the format may vary, but the essential elements
  of the address will stay the same.

  NOTE:

  - Your user id MUST be addressed using a period NOT a comma

  - "compuserve.com" is essential

  - Messages sent through Internet to CompuServe mailboxes include
  routing information and headers which are added to the top of the
  message before it reaches CompuServe's system.

=END=

----

If your mailer doesn't recognize the compuserve.com domain address you
can use the following path:

    7007.12345%compuserve.com@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu
    ----------
        ^--put CIS user number here

This path should work for Usenet:

    ...!uunet!compuserve.com!7007.12345

The 7007.12345 user number is just an example.  Put the correct CIS
user number in place of it.

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives

################################ M C I ###################################

Article 37276 of comp.sys.ibm.pc
From: johnl@esegue.uucp (John R. Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: CompuServe <------>Internet gateway
Date: 15 Aug 89 22:36:26 GMT

In article <1280@hcx1.UUCP> leoh@hardy.hdw.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>On a similar note ... is it possiple to use the compuserve/MCI mail link
>via the internet ?

No, but you don't have to.  MCI Mail has a very nice but totally
unpublicised gateway of their own that I stumbled across.  To send mail from
MCI to the Internet, tell MCI Mail you're sending to a REMS, give the REMS
name as "internet" and on the mailbox line, give the internet address.  To
go the other way, send to something like 0001234567@mcimail.com where the
number is the MCI Mail account number padded to ten digits.  Not all
internet hosts know mcimail.com, but uunet does.  Bang paths seem to work
too.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, johnl@ima.isc.com, Levine@YALE.something