[comp.mail.misc] Help with smail 2.5 & sendmail configuration

elliot@alfred.orl.fl.us (Elliot Dierksen) (02/28/90)

I have been having serious difficulty getting an elm/smail/sendmail
configuration to work the way I want it to. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Here is the configuration

machine1 is connected to machine2 via a network. NO uucp link

machine2 is connected to machine1 via a network. NO uucp link

machine3 is connected to BOTH machine1 & machine2 via uucp. machine3 has a
map of the world and I want ALL uucp traffic routed through machine3 and
network mail sent to sendmail which will send it through the network link.

I have spent several days experimenting with both the options in defs.h of
smail and the sendmail.cf file and I am at my wits end. Any advice from a
sendmail|smail guru would save my sanity. BTW, the machines on the network
are an IBM PS/2 model 80 and IBM RT both running AIX.

Thanks in Advance!

EBD
--
Elliot Dierksen        "I don't care if my lettuce has DDT on it,
                        as long as it's crisp!!" -- Jorma Kaukonen

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/08/90)

According to tarpit!alfred!elliot:
>machine1 is connected to machine2 via a network. NO uucp link
>machine2 is connected to machine1 via a network. NO uucp link
>machine3 is connected to BOTH machine1 & machine2 via uucp. machine3 has a
>map of the world and I want ALL uucp traffic routed through machine3 and
>network mail sent to sendmail which will send it through the network link.

No problem.  Use Smail 2.5 and Deliver 2.0.  (You all KNEW this was
coming.)  Configure Smail to use Deliver for both local mail and UUCP.
Install a paths database on machine2 that only says:

	.uucp		machine3!%s
	machine1	machine1!%s
	machine2	%s

And install a complementary file on machine1.  Then write a post-user
delivery file for Deliver that translates "machine[12]!user" into the
appropriate network incantation -- something like this:

	for u
	do
	    case "$u" in
	    machine[12]!*)
		m=`echo "$u" | sed -e 's/!.*$//'`		# Machine
		x=`echo "$u" | sed -e 's/^[^!]*!//'`		# User
		echo "|/usr/lib/sendmail -oem -oi '$x@$m'"	# use SMTP
		;;
	    *)
		echo "$u"
		;;
	    esac
	done

Tadaa!  Instant mixing of network and UUCP transports.  Smail knows
who talks to who, but it doesn't have to know the transport method for
each connection -- that's handled by Deliver.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct@ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."

edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett) (03/19/90)

In article <25F57553.371@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to tarpit!alfred!elliot:
>>machine1 is connected to machine2 via a network. NO uucp link
>>machine2 is connected to machine1 via a network. NO uucp link
>>machine3 is connected to BOTH machine1 & machine2 via uucp. machine3 has a
>>map of the world and I want ALL uucp traffic routed through machine3 and
>>network mail sent to sendmail which will send it through the network link.
>No problem.  Use Smail 2.5 and Deliver 2.0.  (You all KNEW this was
>coming.)  Configure Smail to use Deliver for both local mail and UUCP.
>Install a paths database on machine2 that only says:

No problem. Use MMDF on all three machines. (You all KNEW this was
coming.) MMDF can handle UUCP and SMTP semantics seamlessly. The
outside world need not know that you have three machines either.

You didn't say what size machines or what Unix flavors you're using.
MMDF doesn't care. It compiles well on most everything with only minor
configuration. Its tables are easy to create and modify. It is
robust and easily handles large mail loads.

--
Edward C. Bennett - The other MMDF guy			edward@twg.com
The Wollongong Group					(415) 962-7252

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (03/19/90)

In article <214@gollum.twg.com> edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
>No problem. Use MMDF on all three machines. (You all KNEW this was
>coming.) MMDF can handle UUCP and SMTP semantics seamlessly. The
>outside world need not know that you have three machines either.
>
>You didn't say what size machines or what Unix flavors you're using.
>MMDF doesn't care. It compiles well on most everything with only minor
>configuration. Its tables are easy to create and modify. It is
>robust and easily handles large mail loads.
>
>--
>Edward C. Bennett - The other MMDF guy			edward@twg.com
>The Wollongong Group					(415) 962-7252
>1129 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303
>   "He's become a growling, snarling mass of white-hot canine terror"

Does this include HP 9000/825 under HP-UX?
Where does one get MMDF?

--
Bill Meahan			|  UUCP: uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm
				| snail: 128 Factory St., Ypsilanti, MI 48197
#include <disclaimer.std>	| voice: +1 313 484 9320
/* witty */			|packet: wa8tzg @ wa8ooh.mi.usa.na

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/21/90)

According to tarpit!alfred!elliot:
>machine1 is connected to machine2 via a network. NO uucp link
>machine2 is connected to machine1 via a network. NO uucp link

I wrote about Deliver.

According to edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett):
>No problem. Use MMDF on all three machines. (You all KNEW this was
>coming.) MMDF can handle UUCP and SMTP semantics seamlessly.

But how well does MMDF handle bizarre, non-standard networks like
Micnet or (shudder) Berknet?