[comp.mail.misc] mail round-robiner

max@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Max Hailperin) (03/22/90)

I have written a mail round-robiner for BSD-derived systems (at least
SunOS and Ultrix, I haven't tried any others yet).  The idea is for
mail received at one mailbox to be automagically sent in round-robin
rotation to each mailbox in a list.  This is quite useful for
providing a question-answering service, for example.  I have submitted
it to comp.sources.unix, so eventually it should show up there.  In
the meantime, if you have been desperately wishing for just such a
thing, I should be able to cope with a few mail requests.  Please be
warned that it is not teribly polished and comes completely as is.

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (03/22/90)

Not to play one-up here, but there's an alternative that I have to mention.

You could get and install the Andrew Message System, free on the X.V11R4
tape in the Andrew contributed ``toolkit'', and you can build shareable
mail folders that everybody in a group can read and reply to with any of
the AMS user-agent programs.

Arriving mail is filed in group-handleable folders; you get to choose
whether to make a daemon do this for you or to have some set of readers
do it.  For public bboards, make the group that can read the folder be
the general public.

Maybe other folder-oriented systems do this too, but it's a thought.

		Craig

max@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Max Hailperin) (03/23/90)

In article <8a2CRfL0BwwOENiV11@transarc.com> Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM
writes:
>Not to play one-up here, but there's an alternative that I have to mention.
>... Andrew Message System ... shareable mail folders ... everybody in a group
>can read and reply to ... Arriving mail is filed in group-handleable folders
>Maybe other folder-oriented systems do this too, but it's a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion; I don't believe it fills my need however, because
the members of my round-robin are scattered all over the world on various
networks. (In case your wondering, it's LaTeX-help@sumex-aim.stanford.edu)
Naturally there are other issues, e.g. fair work allocation, but those
are secondary.  Others with a situation similar to mine may be
interested in my code.  Those with a local operation, or even one
constrained to the Internet [I believe AFS only works on the Internet,
right?] might be better off with your system, especially if the
work-allocation was best done in a non-round-robin fashion.