[comp.mail.misc] xbiff

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (04/07/90)

Some questions about xbiff.

I'd like the xbiff window to come to the front when it beeps, sometimes
it's covered up and all I hear is this random "beep" and I wonder
whether I'm doing something wrong.  That or train "xbiff" to
bip out a message in morse code, or say something on a Sparcstation,
or be otherwise suitably distinctive.

thanks.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept.
emv@math.lsa.umich.edu

tomw@orac.esd.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein) (04/11/90)

In article <EMV.90Apr7114616@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu>, emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
> I'd like the xbiff window to come to the front when it beeps, sometimes
> it's covered up and all I hear is this random "beep" and I wonder
> whether I'm doing something wrong.

This is the job of the window manager.  Clients shouldn't attempt to
restack themselves.

> That or train "xbiff" to bip out a message in morse code, or say
> something on a Sparcstation, or be otherwise suitably distinctive.

This sounds better.  If you look at the source for the Mailbox widget,
the last thing in Mailbox.c is a function called beep().  Here it is:

static void beep (w)
    MailboxWidget w;
{
    XBell (XtDisplay (w), w->mailbox.volume);
    return;
}

You might want to do something like this instead:

static void beep (w)
    MailboxWidget w;
    int i;
{
    for(i=0; i<2; i++) {
        XBell (XtDisplay (w), w->mailbox.volume);
        XBell (XtDisplay (w), (w->mailbox.volume)/2);
    }
    return;
}

> thanks.

You're welcome.

--
Tom Weinstein
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems