[comp.mail.misc] REVISED: How do I send e-mail to lots of users at a remote unix site?

thermal%solgel.hepnet@CSA2.LBL.GOV (05/31/90)

I apologize for my first posting, which did not quite exactly
say what I wanted it to say.  Below is the revised posting,
which I believe now says what I wanted it to say.  Read carefully.
Thanks for your reply.

machine which will automatically mail the message to all on the list,
or sending one message to the remote machine and somehow instruct it
to distribute the message to all the users).  Obviously, I'm not a
unix guru or wizard, so make your explanation understandable, please.

Thanks, Dana

msir@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (06/01/90)

In article <900531093625.30e0f102@Csa2.LBL.Gov> thermal%solgel.hepnet@CSA2.LBL.GOV writes:
> I would like to be able to send a mail message to all the users on
> ANOTHER unix machine via Internet.

This sounds like a bad idea.  Electronic mail isn't a good broadcast medium;
if there are lots of users on your destination machine then you're going to
eat up GOBS of disk space with hundreds of copies of your message in
everyone's mailbox.

Is there perhaps an appropriate newsgroup you can post to, or does the
machine have msgs(1), or something like that?  Perhaps you should ask the
system administrator of the destination machine what would be a good medium
for your message.

Someone here once mailed all the users on our local public system, which has
over 800 users.  We, the system administrators, were somewhat upset.  There
are much better ways of doing this sort of thing.
--
Mark Sirota - University of Rochester Computing Center, Rochester NY
 Internet: msir@cc.rochester.edu