[comp.mail.misc] pathalias breaks on latest map distribution - HELP!

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (05/30/90)

Since the latest distribution I've received from comp.mail.maps, my attempts
to build a new pathalias database result in pathalias hanging forever while
taking up about 4.5 MEGS of core.

After spending far too much time chasing the problem, I've found that
keeping u.usa.nm.1 out of the input stream solves(?) the problem.  Apparently
something in the lastest bunch of maps (which do NOT include nm.1 so far)
is inconsistent with the Apr 25 version of u.usa.nm.1.

The inconsistency apparently involves some US site(s) only since using only
u.usa.* input makes the problem occur.

Anyone else having this problem or have I got something messed up here??

Thanks for your advice.

____
--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG		uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm
I speak only for myself - even my daughter's cat won't let me speak for her!

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May29.182555.27806@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
>Since the latest distribution I've received from comp.mail.maps, my attempts
>to build a new pathalias database result in pathalias hanging forever while
>taking up about 4.5 MEGS of core.
>
>After spending far too much time chasing the problem, I've found that
>keeping u.usa.nm.1 out of the input stream solves(?) the problem.  Apparently
>something in the lastest bunch of maps (which do NOT include nm.1 so far)
>is inconsistent with the Apr 25 version of u.usa.nm.1.

I had the same problem and tracked it down to an infinite loop involving
bcsinc (in u.usa.ca.1) and rt1 (in u.usa.nm.1).  Since the NM map was not
changed recently and that CA map arrived last night, I concluded that it was
a problem with bcsinc.  Sure enough, commenting the bcsinc entry out of the
CA map solved the problem.

However, I do not know exactly why the loop occurred.  Can anyone explain?

Mark
--
Mark Benard
Department of Computer Science     INTERNET & BITNET: mb@cs.tulane.edu

randy@sdiego.uucp (Randy Yount) (05/30/90)

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:

>Since the latest distribution I've received from comp.mail.maps, my attempts
>to build a new pathalias database result in pathalias hanging forever while
>taking up about 4.5 MEGS of core.

>After spending far too much time chasing the problem, I've found that
>keeping u.usa.nm.1 out of the input stream solves(?) the problem.  Apparently
>something in the lastest bunch of maps (which do NOT include nm.1 so far)
>is inconsistent with the Apr 25 version of u.usa.nm.1.

>The inconsistency apparently involves some US site(s) only since using only
>u.usa.* input makes the problem occur.

>Anyone else having this problem or have I got something messed up here??

I'm having the same problem.....I tried Bill's work around and sure enough
I could build the path database.

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May29.182555.27806@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:

> Since the latest distribution I've received from comp.mail.maps, my attempts
> to build a new pathalias database result in pathalias hanging forever while
> taking up about 4.5 MEGS of core.
>
> After spending far too much time chasing the problem, I've found that
> keeping u.usa.nm.1 out of the input stream solves(?) the problem.  Apparently
> something in the lastest bunch of maps (which do NOT include nm.1 so far)
> is inconsistent with the Apr 25 version of u.usa.nm.1.

I ran into exactly the same problem.  The version of pathalias I've been
using (pathalias9) runs into a loop... it cycles repeatedly between
nodes "rt1", "rt1.lanl.gov", and "bcsinc".  rt1 and rt1.lanl.gov are one
and the same, and there's a bi-directional private dead link between rt1
and bcsinc.

I have no idea why this particular combination causes pathalias to
loop... it seems that it should work properly.

I was able to resolve (work around) the problem by downloading the
latest version of pathalias from uunet (~/mail/pathalias.Z).  This is a
more recent version than the one I had been using... it supports the
"adjust" clause, rather than the "-a" command-line option.  It seems to
"eat" the current maps distribution without any distress.

Ghu alone knows why it fixes things, though.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

bblue@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (05/30/90)

In article <3438@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:
>In article <1990May29.182555.27806@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
>>Since the latest distribution I've received from comp.mail.maps, my attempts
>>to build a new pathalias database result in pathalias hanging forever while
>>taking up about 4.5 MEGS of core.
>>
>>After spending far too much time chasing the problem, I've found that
>>keeping u.usa.nm.1 out of the input stream solves(?) the problem.  Apparently
>>something in the lastest bunch of maps (which do NOT include nm.1 so far)
>>is inconsistent with the Apr 25 version of u.usa.nm.1.
>
>I had the same problem and tracked it down to an infinite loop involving
>bcsinc (in u.usa.ca.1) and rt1 (in u.usa.nm.1).  Since the NM map was not
>changed recently and that CA map arrived last night, I concluded that it was
>a problem with bcsinc.  Sure enough, commenting the bcsinc entry out of the
>CA map solved the problem.
>
>However, I do not know exactly why the loop occurred.  Can anyone explain?

It's even more interesting when you consider that the bcsinc map
entry hasn't changed since late August '89, and the rti entry
hasn't changed since mid September '89.  Something else seems to
be bringing this to a head.

--Bill Blue
	Southern California, Arizona Regional Uucpmap Coordinator
        UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!bblue
        ARPA: crash!bblue@nosc.mil
        INET: bblue@crash.cts.com

piet@eu.net (Piet Beertema) (05/30/90)

		Since the latest distribution I've received from comp.mail.maps,
		my attempts to build a new pathalias database result in pathalias
		hanging forever while taking up about 4.5 MEGS of core.
	I had the same problem and tracked it down to an infinite loop involving
	bcsinc (in u.usa.ca.1) and rt1 (in u.usa.nm.1).  Since the NM map was not
	changed recently and that CA map arrived last night, I concluded that it was
	a problem with bcsinc.  Sure enough, commenting the bcsinc entry out of the
	CA map solved the problem.
I had the same problem, noticing it when pathalias was
already consuming 23 Megs (!) of core. I didn't bother
tracking it down, but picked up the current pathalias
from uunet, installed it and the problem went away....

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May29.182555.27806@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
>Since the latest distribution I've received from comp.mail.maps, my attempts
>to build a new pathalias database result in pathalias hanging forever while
>taking up about 4.5 MEGS of core.

Hmm, I just commented on this in comp.unix.i386, as follows (the additional
light shed here is that I can reproduce the problem with a 3-line input
file):

----------
In article <RON.90May30172314@mlfarm.uucp> ron@mlfarm.uucp (Ronald Florence) writes:
>We use pathalias (9.1 87/10/04) with Xenix 2.3.2, on a ps2/80 with six
>megabytes of ram.  Building our map normally takes ~2 minutes.
>
>The recent batch of maps apparently has taken our pathalias over some
>threshold.  Without the map u.usa.ca.1, the build takes the same ~2
>minutes.  With all of the maps included on the command line, pathalias
>churns and swaps, slowly growing in size.  An hour later, when I
>finally killed the process, it was at 5704K (according to ps);

etc.

I spent quite a bit of yesterday tracking this down.  The problem
seems to be that bcsinc (in u.usa.ca.1) and rt1 (in u.usa.nm.1)
declare each other to be terminal links with DEAD cost.  I was
able to replicate the problem with a 3-line pathalias input file:

bcsinc	<rt1>(DEAD)
ditka	<rt1>(DEMAND+FAST),	zinn(HOURLY+FAST)
rt1	<bcsinc>(DEAD)

Running pathalias with trace options shows that rt1->bcsinc and
bcsinc->rt1 (that is, the terminal defs of them) are trying to
be resolved coninuously, with ever-increasing costs and links.

I got around it by adding this to my local-defs file (which is
a file that I feed into the pathalias run to supply local definitions
and overrides):

bcsinc	rt1(DEAD)
rt1	bcsinc(DEAD)

In fact, I originally had "bcsinc" spelled wrong in the addition, and
it still worked.  Apparently all it needs is some other route between
the two sites.

I checked this three-line problem with a neighbor, who ran it with
the -l zinn option (to pretend it was me), and they had the same
results -- pathalias went into an infinite loop.

Incidentally, I also checked this with another neighbor who does NOT
have the problem.  He says he is running an "unreleased" version of
pathalias 9.1, and in fact the trace output is quite different from
mine -- both in the formatting (terminals have <> instead of trailing
') and in the costs for DEAD and back links.  I can hardly wait to see
the update...

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett