[comp.mail.misc] Re^2: is uunet breaking your headers?

greyham@hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney) (06/04/90)

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:

>tp@mccall.com writes:
>   If by internet-compliant you also
>   mean rfc822 compliant, this is one of the rules of the game. If everybody
>   would leave the From: line alone, it would be reliable.

>Feh.  An entirely unsupportable assertion.  If everybody left the
>From: line alone, it would be set to whatever the first broken mailer
>set it to, which is frequently incorrect right from the outset.  Mail
>gets here pretty routinely from UCBerkeley with OWHNs in the UNIX
>From_ line, rewritten to "cis.ohio-state.edu."  (No, not from ucbvax
>or ucbarpa, but yes, from other UCB sites.)

	I feel compelled. His assertion is more correct than yours is.
If everyone left From: alone completely, the sites that would be affected
would be the sites that generate a bad From: line, and it would give them some
encouragement to fix the thing.

	ONLY Gateways should change From:, since only a Gateway is expected to
know the conversion from one network to another one. The rest of us should
jolly well leave From: alone totally, for the reasons that tp@mccall.com just
outlined quite well. If everyone does this, there's no problem. The
originating site (and no others) should know how to correctly write its From:
lines, so your site shouldn't be messing with them.
--
/*  Greyham Stoney:                            Australia: (02) 428 6476
 *    greyham@hades.oz  - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove, Sydney, Oz.