[comp.mail.misc] Standardized Internet Addresses

matt@cds1 (Mathew Di Nicola) (06/06/90)

On the subject of standardized addresses, in the June 26, 1990 issue of PC
Magazine, John Dvorak spent his column talking about the need for
standardized addresses.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet (just scan
it), but it seemed pretty basic.  None the less, this topic is certainly
getting good press.  Lots of people read PC Magazine.  And you have to
start somewhere.

---Matt
Mathew Di Nicola				      Sacramento, CA, USA

Internet: matt@cds1.UUCP			      UUCP= sactoh0!cds1!matt

dean@truevision.com (Dean Riddlebarger) (06/07/90)

In article <mLgBk2w162w@cds1> matt@cds1 (Mathew Di Nicola) writes:
>On the subject of standardized addresses, in the June 26, 1990 issue of PC
>Magazine, John Dvorak spent his column talking about the need for
>standardized addresses.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet (just scan
>it), but it seemed pretty basic.  None the less, this topic is certainly
>getting good press.  Lots of people read PC Magazine.  And you have to
>start somewhere.
>
>Mathew Di Nicola				      Sacramento, CA, USA
>Internet: matt@cds1.UUCP			      UUCP= sactoh0!cds1!matt

I agree that the Dvorak column will possibly help to increase awareness
of internet mail, but I do wish that he'd taken a bit more positive
attitude in the overall text.  He notes the current proliferation of
potentially incompatible mail systems, mentions the attempts to move
towards domain-based addressing schemes, and then bemoans the fact that
little has been done to make the mail interface a seamless part of
a user's general computing environment.  But if you've lived with
the various mailers available out here, you know that between their
overall functionality and the potential for more uniformity inherent
in domain addressing, what's really missing right now is the better
user interface on any given platform.  The pieces are falling into
place at the network level; we just need to push administrators,
programmers, hackers, etc. to bring it all together for the average
end-user.

Of course, I'm sure that lots of net.people don't share my rosy
optimism about the state of existing tools.  Still, I wish that
Mr. Dvorak had emphasized this point just a bit more in his
article.......

[Unrelated point about Mr. D- Love him or hate him, his columns
usually serve their purpose.....to stir folks up and make 'em think.]

--
<:>   Dean Riddlebarger                               "The bus came by       <:>
<:>   MIS Manager - Truevision, Inc.                    and I got on,        <:>