[comp.mail.misc] Smail Troubles

jim@ezx.uucp (Jim Littlefield) (06/28/90)

I've just got smail 3.1.19 up on our VAXstation. Unfortunately, I am
having a minor problem getting the pathalias stuff working. If I use
"smail -bt" to test it, and enter an address like joe@acacia, it works
fine (gives back uunet!cs.utexax.edu!...!joe). The problem is if I enter
joe@decwrl.dec.com, it returns with joe@decwrl.dec.com ... failed: unknown
host.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jim Littlefield

== Sunrise Sofware Systems == ...!uunet!ezx!jim (soon to be jim@ezx.com)
--

Jim Littlefield  ==  ...!uunet!ezx!jim  ==  Sunrise Software Systems, Inc.

jim@ezx.uucp (Jim Littlefield) (06/28/90)

Never mind....The problem was caused by somebody (not me ;-) deleting
d.Top.  Seems kind of strange that pathalias didn't complain when
building the path file.

--

In article <1990Jun28.143058.8439@ezx.uucp> jim@ezx.uucp (Jim Littlefield) writes:
>I've just got smail 3.1.19 up on our VAXstation. Unfortunately, I am
>having a minor problem getting the pathalias stuff working. If I use
>"smail -bt" to test it, and enter an address like joe@acacia, it works
>fine (gives back uunet!cs.utexax.edu!...!joe). The problem is if I enter
>joe@decwrl.dec.com, it returns with joe@decwrl.dec.com ... failed: unknown
>host.

Your paths file can either contain an explicit entry for decwrl.dec.com
or a full or partial entry for the domain name.  If you have an entry
for .dec.com it will send anything.dec.com there.  If you are going to
send all your internet mail through uunet anyway, you can just put in
the top level domains.  For example, an entry of ".com uunet!%s" will
cause all mail to the .com domain to be sent through uunet unless a
longer match of a particular subdomain is found in the list.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us