[comp.mail.misc] ... x.400 addresses

moore@cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (07/19/90)

In article <40713@think.Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
[concerning X.400 O/R addresses]
>The days are long gone when we should expect ordinary users to type
>"addresses" into their mail system user interfaces.
Well, we still expect ordinary users to write postal addresses on
envelopes, and it will be a few years more before we obsolete the
current postal system.

>The actual form that the user sees will depend on their mail system and
>its general user interaction style.  A simple interface would display
>"Country:", "Last name:", "Computer name:", etc. prompts (with suitable
>defaults, of course).
This does seem to be what the X.400 developers have in mind.  Whether
this is an effective user interface is another question entirely.

One of the big problems that ordinary users have with the current
collection of email networks is that there is no universally accepted
notation for addresses.  "user@domain" appears to have the widest
acceptance, but many users have to translate such an address into
whatever their local mail system accepts, be it "domain!user" or
gateway::"user@domain" or whatever.  X.400 O/R addresses do not solve
this problem, and in fact they make it worse.

An analogy: if you want to make a telephone call, and you know the
telephone number already, you simply dial the number.  If you don't
know the number, you can call directory assistance.  Using X.400 O/R
addresses with standard attributes is like calling directory
assistance every time you want to place a call.  If you know the exact
set of name-attribute pairs to supply to specify a unique recipient,
it's not a problem -- it only takes longer.  If not, you might have to
continue specifying additional information until you get it right.  My
guess is that ordinary users will regard this process as yet another
computer-related hassle that impedes their normal work flow.  Even if
addresses like moore@cs.utk.edu are a bit cryptic (what does "utk"
mean, anyway?), it's at least easy to type and easy to remember.

Of course, X.400 addresses (and the whole X.400 suite) have more
ambitious goals than the domain naming system and e.g., Internet mail.
Any addressing scheme that attempts to uniquely name everyone in the
world is going to have scaling problems, and it is difficult to
construct addresses that are both terse and meaningful to humans.

I, for one, will miss domain-style addressing when it's gone, but I
have the feeling it will stay around much longer than X.400 developers
anticipate.

--
Keith Moore			Internet: moore@cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx