[comp.mail.misc] Configuring smail transports

cluther@supernet.UUCP (Clay Luther) (07/14/90)

I recently obtained smail 3.17 as a solution for a certain problem we have
at our site.  I had heard that smail allowed you to easily define new
routers/transports, more so that sendmail.

I have read the documention, but I am kinda unclear on how I can do the
following:

We have a host connected to us via tokenring.  We have a program, called xcmd,
which performs the exact same function as uux except over tokenring.

When mail is sent to this host, I want smail to use xcmd (with parameters)
rather than uux.  There is only one host that smail would have to do this
for.  The xcmd program *does* work.

We are a SysVr3 site.

Thanks!

--
Clay Luther                       ..uunet!iex!supernet!cluther
Usenet Administrator              supernet!cluther%iex.uucp@dept.csci.unt.edu

In article <1990Jul13.223745.24604@supernet.UUCP> cluther@supernet.UUCP (Clay Luther) writes:
>I recently obtained smail 3.17 as a solution for a certain problem we have
>at our site.  I had heard that smail allowed you to easily define new
>routers/transports, more so that sendmail.

You may want to pick up 3.18 somewhere.  It's on uunet as smail3.1.19.Z
(oddly enough).

>We have a host connected to us via tokenring.  We have a program, called xcmd,
>which performs the exact same function as uux except over tokenring.
>When mail is sent to this host, I want smail to use xcmd (with parameters)
>rather than uux.  There is only one host that smail would have to do this
>for.  The xcmd program *does* work.

Copy the config, router, and transport files from the samples/generic
directory in the smail distribution into your installed smail lib
directory.
  Make sure you have an entry in your paths file for this host that
  says:
      host host!%s   (I like to put all the uucp neighbors here as well
  to save running uuname to find them).

In the "pathalias" router entry, change the line:
   transport = uux
   method = uucp
Create a directory called "methods" in the smail lib directory (or set
the name you want in the config file), and create a file named uucp
in this directory containing:
    hostname  xcmd
      *       uux
Now edit the "transports" file.  Duplicate the entire 5 or 6 line entry
describing the uux or demand transport, change the name to xcmd, and
change the "cmd" line to do whatever you need.

Test it with:
  smail -v200 -N hostname!user
...some input <EOT>
and watch the debug output for the lookup and generated command.
(The -N will prevent actual delivery).

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

tron@tolerant.com (Ron Karr) (07/22/90)

In article <1990Jul19.171942.24780@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
 >You may want to pick up 3.18 somewhere.  It's on uunet as smail3.1.19.Z
 >(oddly enough).

Time for a Smail3 taxonomy lesson, I suppose.  Here are the versions that
people are most likely to read about:

3.1.17:  A release that restructured major parts of the source code and
	 was a fairly extensive cleanup of the previous releases.  If
	 you are running this, then you should be in good a shape, or
	 in as good a shape as currently available Smail3 releases will
	 put you.

3.1.18:  This includes a fix that affects systems where fopen(foo, "a")
	 does not set the O_APPEND flag.  This is the only interesting
	 thing fixed in the 3.1.18.1 release.

3.1.19:  This is the release that is available on uunet.  The only
	 difference between the 3.1.18 release and this release is the
	 addition of a new README file, and a new samples/bigsite
	 directory.  I didn't change the actually release number in the
	 source because the smail3 release build area was scattered
	 around too much, so I wasn't in a position to update any of
	 the files under source control.  Given this, I did not want
	 the release to include any changes to existing files, including
	 the files that define the release number.  This was quite
	 probably a mistake, since it is confusing.

3.2:	 This refers to a mythical release which is what I really want
	 to release to the world.  Since I determined that I would not
	 have the time to complete this, I gave the primary tasks for
	 completing this to someone else.

Class is over for today.
--
	tron  |-<=>-|		ARPAnet:  tolsoft!tron@apple.com