[comp.mail.misc] configurable delimiters needed in aliases file for x.400 addresses

In article <1585@merlin.bhpmrl.oz.au> ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
> bhp = bhp keylink = /C=AU/ADMD=TELEMEMO/O=BHP/G=BHP/S=MELBOURNE/@murtoa

THAT's what the famous X.400 addresses look like?

This unreadable gibberish is supposed to be a universal standard for
E-mail addressing? I think I prefer "frog!wasp::joe%bee.bitnet@toad.org".
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.

In article <P2M42+@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1585@merlin.bhpmrl.oz.au> ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>> bhp = bhp keylink = /C=AU/ADMD=TELEMEMO/O=BHP/G=BHP/S=MELBOURNE/@murtoa

>THAT's what the famous X.400 addresses look like?

Not really.  Since X.400 is a binary, not character, protocol, its
addresses are binary data structures.  An X.400 address is a property list,
containing attributes such as geographic location, full name, and company
name (i.e. the same kinds of things one uses to address postal mail), as
well as computer-oriented attributes such as the names of the network and
computer.

That gibberish is a compact textual representation of X.400, suitable for
storage in textual databases such as the Unix aliases file, or for use when
encapsulating X.400 mail in a textual mail environment such as SMTP/RFC822.

The days are long gone when we should expect ordinary users to type
"addresses" into their mail system user interfaces.  The actual form that
the user sees will depend on their mail system and its general user
interaction style.  A simple interface would display "Country:", "Last
name:", "Computer name:", etc. prompts (with suitable defaults, of course).
On a windowed system the attributes to be filled in would be chosen out of
a menu or the user might fill in a dialogue.  The important attribute of
these interfaces is that the attribute names would be displayed in a
natural language, not some computer abbreviation; e.g., what's represented
as "C=AU" above would be displayed or entered as "Country: Australia".
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

In article <40713@think.Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
> The days are long gone when we should expect ordinary users to type
> "addresses" into their mail system user interfaces.

Why? People routinely key in phone numbers, and write addresses out
by hand on envelopes. If the presented form of an address can change so
radically what does one put on one's business card?

I really don't see why E-mail addresses need be any more complex than
phone-numbers, or street addresses at the worst.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.

In article <J.R4CDA@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <40713@think.Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>> The days are long gone when we should expect ordinary users to type
>> "addresses" into their mail system user interfaces.
>I really don't see why E-mail addresses need be any more complex than
>phone-numbers, or street addresses at the worst.

Because email addresses have to be processed by computers, and used for
looking up information in a worldwide distributed database, and intended to
specify a particular person and even a specific choice of the roles the
person plays.

On the other hand, street addresses are processed by humans.  And phone
numbers don't get you to a particular person, they just get you to a phone
-- you still have to ask whoever answers "May I speak to so-and-so?".
--

tron@tolerant.com (Ron Karr) (07/22/90)

In article <40888@think.Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
 >Because email addresses have to be processed by computers, and used for
 >looking up information in a worldwide distributed database, and intended to
 >specify a particular person and even a specific choice of the roles the
 >person plays.
 >
 >On the other hand, street addresses are processed by humans.  And phone
 >numbers don't get you to a particular person, they just get you to a phone
 >-- you still have to ask whoever answers "May I speak to so-and-so?".

Just because a computer is going to process an address doesn't mean that
the address should suddenly become more complicated.  There is a great
deal of both versatility AND compactness in the

	local-part@domain

notation.  I can use my full name:

	Ronald.S.Karr@VERITAS.COM

I could (if the US domain were organized correctly) use something like:

	Ronald.S.Karr@VERITAS.CA.US

to get the same basic information that one would find in regular
US-mail addresses.

But some things that you certainly get that is more difficult to get with
the X.400 addresses that I have seen are:

    o	the ability to remember an address, because it is simple

    o	the ability to store large number of addresses in a compact and
	readable format

    o	the ability to tell somebody a concise address over, say, a
	voice telephone connection to another human being.

But realistically, I don't want to be required to use a prompting or
windowing interface just to be able to enter E-mail addresses.  I want
to be able to type them, perhaps even in large numbers, on my command
line.
--
	tron  |-<=>-|		ARPAnet:  tolsoft!tron@apple.com
      tron@tolerant.com		UUCPnet:  {amdahl,apple,hoptoad}!tolsoft!tron

In article <40888@think.Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
> In article <J.R4CDA@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >In article <40713@think.Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
> >> The days are long gone when we should expect ordinary users to type
> >> "addresses" into their mail system user interfaces.

> >I really don't see why E-mail addresses need be any more complex than
> >phone-numbers, or street addresses at the worst.

> Because email addresses have to be processed by computers, and used for
> looking up information in a worldwide distributed database, and intended to
> specify a particular person and even a specific choice of the roles the
> person plays.

What is a "person" or "role" in the context of a mail system? It's just a
mailbox. A "container" that messages are put in. Whether it's
"peter@ferranti.com" or "Postmaster@ferranti.com" it still gets to me.

> On the other hand, street addresses are processed by humans.

Right, and this allows them to be *more complex* than prone numbers or email
addresses. Computers need a simpler designation for a mailbox: they're not very
good at the sort of free association needed to deliver mail to "MOBY, HOUSTON,
TEXAS" to a particular radio personality.

> And phone
> numbers don't get you to a particular person, they just get you to a phone
> -- you still have to ask whoever answers "May I speak to so-and-so?".

And email doesn't get you to a particular person, either. It just gets you to
a mailbox. And that's true for UUCP path mail, DNS mail, or X.400 mail.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (07/23/90)

In article <40897@think.Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>Addresses like this are OK for computer-literate email users, but ordinary
>people should be able to type addresses similar to the ones they use on
>ordinary correspondence.
>
>Given current email addressing technology, how would you send email to the
>VP of Marketing of Thinking Machines Corporation, not knowing his name,
>login name, nor the domain name of our computer?  RFC-822 addresses are
>fine for putting on business cards, but they're hard to generate without
>being told.

Back to the telephone analogy.  How would you CALL the VP of Marketing
at Thinking Machines Corporation, without knowing the number?  You'd ask
Directory Assistance.  (In fact you'd have to know where TMC was first,
so you'd have the proper area code.  To this extent the phone network is
also less than perfect!  When I'm stymied, I call 800 D.A. on the
off chance that the company has a toll free number of some kind.  It's
usually some sales rep who can't transfer me to the person I want, but
they DO tend to know the main number.)

What the Net needs is Directory Assistance -- an automated entity to
ask for machine addresses.

	To: assist@assist.net
	From: jschmoe@crudbox.com (Joe Schmoe)

	thinking

	To: jschmoe@crudbox.com
	From: assist@assist.net (Network Directory Assistance)

	You asked for:
		thinking

	There are 2 matching entries.

		NAME:     Thinking Machines Corporation.
		LOCATION: Cambridge, MA USA
		DOMAIN:   think.com
		CONTACT:  postmaster@think.com
		DATE:     Mon Jul 23 11:31:56 EDT 1990
		NOTES:    Development machine; UUCP (uunet!think), SMTP, MMDF

		NAME:     Institute of Holistic Thinking
		LOCATION: Granola, CA USA
		DOMAIN:   iht.org
		CONTACT:  like_wow@iht.org
		DATE:     Mon Sep 26 03:19:13 EDT 1988
		NOTES:    Hey man, like, meat is murder.

--
"Of course, this is a, this is a Hunt, you   |*==|  Tom Neff
will -- that will uncover a lot of things.   |===|  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

In article <1990Jul22.123110.1198@tolerant.com> tron@tolsoft.UUCP (Ron Karr,,439,) writes:
>Just because a computer is going to process an address doesn't mean that
>the address should suddenly become more complicated.  There is a great
>deal of both versatility AND compactness in the
>
>	local-part@domain

Addresses like this are OK for computer-literate email users, but ordinary
people should be able to type addresses similar to the ones they use on
ordinary correspondence.

Given current email addressing technology, how would you send email to the
VP of Marketing of Thinking Machines Corporation, not knowing his name,
login name, nor the domain name of our computer?  RFC-822 addresses are
fine for putting on business cards, but they're hard to generate without
being told.

>But some things that you certainly get that is more difficult to get with
>the X.400 addresses that I have seen are:
>
>    o	the ability to remember an address, because it is simple

But not figure them out without asking someone.  Also, I'm not sure my
mother would consider addresses of the form "user@frobitz.athena.mit.edu"
easy to remember (I had a hard time teaching her how to use MacWrite).

>    o	the ability to store large number of addresses in a compact and
>	readable format

No argument there.  The compact form isn't very readable and the readable
form isn't very compact.

>    o	the ability to tell somebody a concise address over, say, a
>	voice telephone connection to another human being.

X.400 permits the sender to specify as many of the recipient's attributes
as he knows and wants to include.  If you know the name of the computer and
the recipient's login name (or mail alias) you can specify this.  In fact,
I believe most of the X.400 systems in production use only support such
addresses, since the directory services are not available yet on a large
scale.  The abbreviated syntax would be something like
"USER=local-part/DOMAIN=domain".

So, when you're putting an address on a business card or telling them over
the phone you can give them the minimally sufficent set of attributes they
need.

>But realistically, I don't want to be required to use a prompting or
>windowing interface just to be able to enter E-mail addresses.  I want
>to be able to type them, perhaps even in large numbers, on my command
>line.

Agreed.  But we shouldn't preclude such interfaces, either, since they are
appropriate for many users.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

In article <40897@think.Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
> Given current email addressing technology, how would you send email to the
> VP of Marketing of Thinking Machines Corporation, not knowing his name,
> login name, nor the domain name of our computer?

How would you send physical mail to this person? You have to look up
Thinking Machines Corporation in a directory somewhere. The same is true
of electronic mail.

As for the individual's identity, that's going to need human interaction
to send it to the right slot (Is that VP of Marketing, VP of Sales, or
what? Different companies have different sets of titles), so you send it
to Postmaster at the listed site and let him figure out who is meant. If
Email is important enough that the VP of marketing is available, then it'll
work. If not, you're lost either way.

How would you use X.400 to address the VP of Marketing at Thinking Machines
Corporation? OK, how would you use it to address the SPE for UPL at Ferranti?
What's an SPE? What does UPL mean in this context? I'm not going to tell
you... surely X.400 can figure that out.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

In article <15691@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>What the Net needs is Directory Assistance -- an automated entity to
>ask for machine addresses.

OK, supposing we implement an online Directory Assistance, we'd have to
define a query protocol (in your example, email was the transport
mechanism).  There would have to be a syntax for writing the queries.  It
could be an encoding of something like SQL:

	SELECT ADDRESS
	WHERE Company_Name="Thinking Machines"
	& Department="Marketing"
	& Role="Vice President"

Sure looks like what X.400 addresses encode.

And that's essentially what X.500 is -- an automated directory assistance.
It takes the complicated X.400 addresses (they're actually called ORNames,
short for Originator/Recipient Names), looks up the attributes in a
distributed database, and figures out the mail path.

Rather than sending a query to the directory service and waiting for the
response, you simply put all the information that would be in the query
right into the envelope, and the directory service is invoked automatically
and the message is sent to its destination.  If the information is
ambiguous I'd expect to receive a failure notice describing the ambiguity
(I don't know whether this is actually in the X.500 protocol -- I am not
actually familiar with the implementation details of any of the stuff I've
been talking about in this chain).  But in cases where I supply enough
information, why should I have to wait for a response so I can send the
real message?  I might be about to leave for the evening, and I'd like to
send a message so that it will hopefully reach its recipient by the time he
reads his mail in the morning, so I don't want to have to sit around,
perhaps for hours if mail is backed up, waiting for the information (the
reason telephone D.A. is acceptable is because it rarely takes more than a
couple of minutes to use).

Now, it would be nice if, when I sent a message that uses a long ORName,
the mail system would automatically send back a message that says "in the
future, you can use this abbreviated ORName."

Someone else suggested sending mail to Postmaster@domain, asking the
postmaster to forward the message.  First of all, most email postmasters
are system administrators and/or system programmers, not receptionists.
Second, top executives might not appreciate their mail being sent to
underlings (sure, many postmasters have access to the mail queues, but they
can usually be trusted not to use this to violate confidentiality, whereas
it's easy to accidentally read someone else's mail if it's sent to you).
Even if the mail simply asks the postmaster to send back someone's email
address, it's not really the postmaster's job.  I'm not even our
postmaster, but I've received mail from random people saying "I saw from
your posting that you're at Thinking Machines, and I know So-and-so works
there, could you please send me his email address?"  It happens rarely
enough that it's not annoying, but if it happened every day I'd quickly
tire of it.  In the very least, there should be a different standard
address for this (Addressmaster@domain).