[comp.mail.misc] Is underscore legal in the local-part of an address?

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) (07/25/90)

[I know the original discussion is moot by this time, but anyway...]

gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
> The elements of the hostname should be
> letter-digit-hyphen, but the local-part (anything left of the @) may be
> anything at all, but, if it contains any special characters from the set
> <>()[]\.,;:@" or control characters, they must be escaped by a \, or else the
> whole local-part must be enclosed in quotes.

Periods are legal according to RFC 822.  Is this generally true in
implementations, or is this considered one of the glitches of RFC 822 that
nobody really pays attention to any more?

This actually makes a difference to us.  A programmer here wrote an e-mail
gateway strictly following RFC 822, in the belief that all other mailer
implementations in the world followed it strictly as well.  This has caused
a few problems already...

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz