[comp.mail.misc] configurable delimiters needed in aliases file for x.400 address

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (07/24/90)

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> What the Net needs is Directory Assistance -- an automated entity to
> ask for machine addresses.
[sample session with Net DA deleted]

If you're on the Internet, you can already do something like this.  Try
telnet'ing to nic.ddn.mil and using the WHOIS server.  It will do
searches such as you describe.

I'm not sure how UUCP-only sites would do this, though.  Maybe someone
would like to set up a mailserver to access the WHOIS server at
nic.ddn.mil?  (I would, but my Internet "access" is a 2400bps dialup
connection that only exists when I need to FTP something or otherwise
use the Internet.)

--
Marc Unangst               | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | minds."

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (07/24/90)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>> What the Net needs is Directory Assistance -- an automated entity to
>> ask for machine addresses.

> [sample session with Net DA deleted]

> If you're on the Internet, you can already do something like this.  Try
> telnet'ing to nic.ddn.mil and using the WHOIS server.  It will do
> searches such as you describe.

A rather comprehensive 'yellow pages' can be found by telnet'ing
jade.berkeley.edu 117.  This service produces extracts from the
uucp maps, NIC entries, etc.  Lots of information on hosts.

--
  Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (07/25/90)

In article <12Hsm3w162w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>
    mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>Try telnet'ing to nic.ddn.mil and using the WHOIS server.  [...]
>I'm not sure how UUCP-only sites would do this, though.

    mail -s "WHOIS frobozz.com" service@nic.ddn.mil </dev/null

try a subject of "HELP" for details...

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean