[comp.mail.misc] Come on guys, we've got to improve e-mail

smart@mel.dit.csiro.au (Robert Smart) (07/25/90)

In article <159@tots.UUCP> tep@tots.Logicon.COM (Tom Perrine) writes:

>Perhaps we need to take this discussion to one of the above
>newsgroups, or start a new mailing list, perhaps mail-modernization or
>somesuch?

Comp.mail seems to be unused. It would be nice if people working on
the problem would let us hoi polloi know where we are headed. This is
such a complicated and multi-faceted problem that it can only be
solved correctly on the basis of wide public discussion. Three or
ten or even thirty experts in a back room are not going to understand
all the ramifications. I would like to see wide discussion before we
get to draft RFCs.

I apologise for being sexist. Come on gals as well.

I apologise for suggesting that X.400 designers are not sensible. I meant
that they weeren't sensible to the need for backward compatibility with
existing Internet mail systems. Even this is not true. Jacob Palme is
the only one that posts descriptions of X.400 meetings to the network and
those postings show a lot of common sense and good will.

I apologise for posting to the wrong newsgroup. Followups are directed
to comp.mail. Mail is important to the general workings of a TCP/IP
network and I am concerned that the people who care about the TCP/IP
suite have written SMTP/RFC822 off prematurely. I think that enhancing
SMTP will improve interoperability with X.400 mail and simultaneously
provide a backstop in case X.400 is not as successful as many obviously
expect.

I apologise for ignoring RFC1049 which is a relevant attempt to move
things in the right direction.

Bob Smart <smart@mel.dit.csiro.au> or <uunet!munnari!ditmela.oz!smart>