[comp.mail.misc] Smail 3.1.19 config question

garyf@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (07/25/90)

First, let's describe the environment:  The host is an internet only host
(no uucp connections at all).  I already forward mail which I don't have
a hostname to to a specific host using the smart_host router.  What I need
to be able to do is route all UUCP traffic (either ! addresses or address
such as xxx@yyy.UUCP) to one specific host (which is different than my default
host) and mail addressed to aaa@zzz.BITNET to a different specific host.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

Gary Faulkner--
Gary Faulkner
Research Programmer
Networking and Systems Development

tron@tolerant.com (Ron Karr) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.163153.8377@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:
 >First, let's describe the environment:  The host is an internet only host
 >(no uucp connections at all).  I already forward mail which I don't have
 >a hostname to to a specific host using the smart_host router.  What I need
 >to be able to do is route all UUCP traffic (either ! addresses or address
 >such as xxx@yyy.UUCP) to one specific host (which is different than my default
 >host) and mail addressed to aaa@zzz.BITNET to a different specific host.

You can setup the stuff for .uucp and .bitnet easily enough.  Create a
paths file with entries such as:

	.uucp	foo!%s
	.bitmap	bar!%s

foo and bar do not need to be on a UUCP network for paths files to work
in Smail3, but you need to make sure that the router entry that uses
this paths file specifies the correct transport type (presumably tcpsmtp).

However, Smail3 does not distinguish between hosts based on networking
syntax, so no ability is provided to distinguish between a!b and b@a,
in terms of deciding where the mail should go.  This choice was deliberate.
--
	tron |-<=>-|		ARPAnet:  veritas!tron@apple.com
      tron@veritas.com		UUCPnet:  {amdahl,apple,pyramid}!veritas!tron