[comp.mail.misc] RFC 822 compliant mailing lists

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (07/24/90)

I would like to hear from anyone who runs or subscribes to a mailing
list that employs RFC 822 style headers rather than the traditional
BITNET style.  There has been a lot of talk about how it ought to be
done; who is actually doing it?
--
"A man came into the the office one day and said he  \|/  Tom Neff
was a sailor.  We cured him of that." - Mark Twain,  -O-  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (07/25/90)

Actually, I'm running some RFC 1123 compliant lists.  It's not that
hard, although it does require an additional invocation of sendmail
(unless you do massive hacks to the src).
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (07/25/90)

Here's a list of the more public lists managed in what I believe to be a
correct manner by AMDS at andrew.cmu.edu and transarc.com.  Each has a
-request address; each rewrites the envelope-from information, but not
the header, for messages passing through them.  Some are in fact
digests, but I can't tell a priori.  Some of these are public; some may
be reasonably private, though I've tried to omit the strictly-local
lists.

You can finger any of these addresses.  In addition, for the ones in
andrew.cmu.edu, mail to andrew-service@andrew.cmu.edu can tell you a bit
more about it.

Some of these are gatewayed with netnews groups, but I don't know much
about which goes where.

transarc.com:
info-pdp11@transarc.com (INFO-PDP11_Mailing_List)
info-afs@transarc.com (Info-AFS)

andrew.cmu.edu:
info-andrew+@andrew.cmu.edu (Info-Andrew)
info-dec-micro+@andrew.cmu.edu (Info-DEC-Micro)
info-appletalk+@andrew.cmu.edu (Info-AppleTalk)
info-oda+@andrew.cmu.edu (info-oda)
cmu-tek-tcp+@andrew.cmu.edu (CMU TEK)
space+@andrew.cmu.edu (Space)
space-mag+@andrew.cmu.edu (Space-Mag)
quanta+@andrew.cmu.edu (Quanta Magazine)
structure-editors+@andrew.cmu.edu (Structure-Editors)
ct-distribution+@andrew.cmu.edu (cT-Distribution)
andrew-demos+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew-Demonstrations)

oda+@andrew.cmu.edu (ODA-Toolkit)
info-psyling+@andrew.cmu.edu (info-psycho-linguistics)
sgroup+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sgroup)
info-crossling+@andrew.cmu.edu (Cross Linguistics)
college-press+@andrew.cmu.edu (College-Press-Net)
adolph-a-carrot+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adolph-a-Carrot)
Sun2+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun2-folks)
macoops+@andrew.cmu.edu (Macoops)
info-childes+@andrew.cmu.edu (info-childes)
modula-3+@andrew.cmu.edu (Modula-3)
3dgraphics-intro+@andrew.cmu.edu (3dGraphics-Intro)
accnt-rsch+@andrew.cmu.edu (Accounting-Research)
exp-econ+@andrew.cmu.edu (Experimental-Economics)
ifip-mmm+@andrew.cmu.edu (IFIP-MMM)
enfi-ron+@andrew.cmu.edu (ENFI-Ron)
enfi-pub+@andrew.cmu.edu (ENFI-Pub)
enfi-site+@andrew.cmu.edu (ENFI-Site)
the-andover-group+@andrew.cmu.edu (The Andover Group)
future-calendars+@andrew.cmu.edu (Future-Calendars)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (07/31/90)

In article <0afOovr0BwwO0W_HRg@transarc.com> Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM writes:
>  Each has a
>-request address; each rewrites the envelope-from information, but not
>the header, for messages passing through them.

This is what has been done by the MMDF List Channel for ages and
ages and ages and ages.  Any mailing list passing through that
channel works as RFC-1123 (right number?) requires..

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (08/02/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.mail.misc: 30-Jul-90 Re: RFC 822 compliant
maili.. David S. Herron@twg.com (585)

> In article <0afOovr0BwwO0W_HRg@transarc.com> Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM
> writes:
> >  Each has a
> >-request address; each rewrites the envelope-from information, but not
> >the header, for messages passing through them.

> This is what has been done by the MMDF List Channel for ages and
> ages and ages and ages.

Good news about MMDF.  I wasn't claiming any kind of uniqueness or
primacy, though; the original question was vague on ``correct behavior''
and I was filling in what I believed to be included in the definition of
same.

Sorry if this was confusing.

		Craig