[comp.mail.misc] MMDF mail not delivered

vlr@vlr@litwin.com (Vic Rice) (08/05/90)

I recently discovered a problem with my mail system. I am using
SCO Opendesktop (SYSV R3.2) which uses MMDF as its MTA.
My problem is with mail arriving but not being delivered. I
requested a multi-part distribution from LISTSERV@vm1.nodak.edu.
Several days later I received parts 1 and 10 in my mail box. Parts
2-9 never showed up. Several months later I was exploring and discovered
"/usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/msg". In this directory where many msg.*
files. Parts 2-9 where in this directory. What gives ?? Is there some
MMDF configuration modification I need to do ? I hasten to add this
directory contained over 100 files. Are all these files pieces of mail
that were never delivered ??
--
Dr. Victor L. Rice
Litwin Process Automation

jbev@iscden.UUCP (J.Bevier at Home on Hipeak) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug05.144539.5500@vlr@litwin.com> vlr@vlr@litwin.com (Vic Rice) writes:
>I recently discovered a problem with my mail system. I am using
>SCO Opendesktop (SYSV R3.2) which uses MMDF as its MTA.
>My problem is with mail arriving but not being delivered. I
>requested a multi-part distribution from LISTSERV@vm1.nodak.edu.
>Several days later I received parts 1 and 10 in my mail box. Parts
>2-9 never showed up. Several months later I was exploring and discovered
>"/usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/msg". In this directory where many msg.*
>files. Parts 2-9 where in this directory. What gives ?? Is there some
>MMDF configuration modification I need to do ? I hasten to add this
>directory contained over 100 files. Are all these files pieces of mail
>that were never delivered ??
>--
>Dr. Victor L. Rice
>Litwin Process Automation

The general problem here is that locks are used while mail is being
delivered.  If a second piece of mail arrives to be delivered to a
mail box being updated, it will be put in /usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/msg.*
to be delivered later.  However, this can not take place unless deliver
is called to deliver the mail!  Either run deliver manually or put the
following entry in the /etc/rc.d/7/udaemons file to have deliver run
in the background.  The default is every 10 minutes.  I found this out
about 6 months ago.  It seems SCO forgot this small item.  It will fix
you right up.  Below is the udaemons file that is updated.  Also, see
the man page for deliver.

Enjoy,

Jim Bevier
jbev@iscden.uucp

copy of my /etc/rc.d/7/udaemons file as modified for MMDF deliver
-----------------------------file starts here----------------------
:
#	@(#) udaemons.sh 1.2 89/06/23
#
#	Copyright (C) The Santa Cruz Operation, 1985.
#	This Module contains Proprietary Information of
#	The Santa Cruz Operation, Microsoft Corporation
#	and AT&T, and should be treated as Confidential.
#
#	/etc/rc.d/7/userdaemon - User daemons started after normal boot
#
#	start up mail delivery system
/bin/su mmdf -c "/usr/mmdf/bin/deliver -b -clocal,uucp,list"
echo "MMDF daemon deliver started"