[comp.mail.misc] Batch SMTP

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (08/07/90)

In comp.mail.misc, article <7697@gollum.twg.com>,
  david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
< in the UUCP world guys..)
<
< [...]  RFC-976 says to treat
< BSMTP mail as normal rmail stuff but headed to a user-ID of 'a!b!c!...!b-smtp'.
< (note the `-').  That's probably a good enough way to do it..
<
smail 3.1 propagates the use of rsmtp as the uux command -- instead of
"uux <bsmtp-data - next-site!rmail b-smtp", you'd do
"uux <bsmtp-data - next-site!rsmtp".

This avoids possible problems with the single dot ending the mail prematurely
(there may be more than one message in a bsmtp-data file), which some
implementations circumvent by prefixing every line in the data file with an M
or some such.

Also, piping the stuff through compress and executing rcsmtp (or crsmtp -- any
ideas which one is going to be standard?) would work.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(Voice)/621227(PEP)

tron@tolerant.com (Ron Karr) (08/08/90)

In article <_dw+e2.kf1@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
 >Also, piping the stuff through compress and executing rcsmtp (or crsmtp -- any
 >ideas which one is going to be standard?) would work.

It is rcsmtp in the sources, though I did just notice that the cbsmtp.sh
script incorrectly calls rsmtp, rather than rcsmtp.  Oops!
--
	tron |-<=>-|		ARPAnet:  veritas!tron@apple.com
      tron@veritas.com		UUCPnet:  {amdahl,apple,pyramid}!veritas!tron