[comp.mail.misc] Regarding earlier post on smail3.x and alias problems.

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (08/09/90)

I recently posted a message about having problems with aliases not
seeming to work.  I recompiled smail using lsearch instead of bsearch
and that seems to have taken care of the problem.  I don't know why,
but it seems to working ok now.  Just thought some of you might be
interested.

---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---
      Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)382-1609
               6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134
                UUCP: {fedeva,chromc,rutgers}!dynasys!jessea
-> To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa.

In article <219@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>I recently posted a message about having problems with aliases not
>seeming to work.  I recompiled smail using lsearch instead of bsearch
>and that seems to ha
>ve taken care of the problem.  I don't know why,
>but it seems to working ok now.  Just thought some of you might be
>interested.

I must have missed the original post, but I suspect the problem is that
if you specify the bsearch method, the "newaliases" script wants to
produce the sorted list in a file called aliases.sort, but you may
still be trying to search the file named "aliases".  If your alias
file is not large, it may not be worth changing back anyway.
In general, the way to see what is going on with smail 3 is to use
something like "smail -v200 -N address" and note the step that
fails where you expect it to succeed.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us