[comp.mail.misc] EMAILING TO A LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE

sybn_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Siu-Yan Baldwin Ng) (08/10/90)

Hi everybody,

I am looking for a way to send email to a large group of people.
I know that I can use "group" in my .mailrc file.  However, if I send
one single email to like 10 groups of people, each group has 20 people,
then they might get a whole page of addresses at the beginning of their
message header.  To avoid such inconvenience, I hope there is a way to
have each person received my email where there is only ONE SINGLE
address at the "To:" item in the message header.

I really appreciate your help and time.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Baldwin (sybn_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  OR  rochester!ur-cc!sybn_ltd)

kseshadr@quasar.intel.com (Kishore Seshadri) (08/10/90)

In article <8886@ur-cc.UUCP>, sybn_ltd@uhura (Siu-Yan Baldwin Ng) writes:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I am looking for a way to send email to a large group of people.
>I know that I can use "group" in my .mailrc file.  However, if I send
>one single email to like 10 groups of people, each group has 20 people,
>then they might get a whole page of addresses at the beginning of their
>message header.  To avoid such inconvenience, I hope there is a way to
>have each person received my email where there is only ONE SINGLE
>address at the "To:" item in the message header.

IF you're the sysadmin on your machine, put the alias in the /etc/aliases
file (or wherever you put your system aliases). If you're not the sysadmin
but he/she trusts you, have them specify an include file for the alias
that is editable by you...

You can also send mail to yourself and Bcc: to everyone else...

Kishore Seshadri
Kishore Seshadri <kseshadr@mipos3.intel.com> or <..!intelca!mipos3!kseshadr>
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from."

In article <2728@inews.intel.com> kseshadr@quasar.intel.com (Kishore Seshadri) writes:
>In article <8886@ur-cc.UUCP>, sybn_ltd@uhura (Siu-Yan Baldwin Ng) writes:
>>Hi everybody,
>>
>>I am looking for a way to send email to a large group of people.
>>I know that I can use "group" in my .mailrc file.  However, if I send
>>one single email to like 10 groups of people, each group has 20 people,
>>then they might get a whole page of addresses at the beginning of their

Beware.  Some versions of UUCP have a character limit on the recipient addresses
they receive (I don't know the limit, sorry).  If you pass off a large mailing list
it may send just find, but blow up upon receipt at the next site.

I use this as a replacement for uux in my sendmail.cf file.  If anyone has a better
solution please let me know.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

@uuxargs = @ARGV[0..2];
shift(@ARGV);
shift(@ARGV);
shift(@ARGV);
@users = ();
$cnt = 0;

@msg = <STDIN>;

for $u (@ARGV) {
    push(@users, "'$u'");
    if (++$cnt > 15) {
	&sendit;
    }
}
&sendit;
exit 0;

sub sendit {
    if ($cnt > 0) {
	open(PIPE, "|uux @uuxargs @users");
	print PIPE @msg;
	close(PIPE);
	if ($?) {
	    $err = "uusplit: @users $!\n";
	    open(FILE, ">/dev/console");
	    print FILE "$err";
	    close(FILE);
	}
	@users = ();
	$cnt = 0;
    }
}
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.