[comp.mail.misc] University/company wide directory service?

matthew@ooc.uva.nl (Matthew Lewis) (08/14/90)

Hello!  We are looking for a way to provide mail directory services for a
private wide-area network, in such a way that a user would be able to type in
a name, and get back the person's mail address.  In addition, or alternately,
to be able to send to an ambiguous address, and have it delivered, or to get
back a message with the correct address.

In the ideal world, there would be a Macintosh and/or PC interface for use
with POP or IMAP.

I saw some discussion over such systems in news a while back, but discovered
(to my horror :-) that I misplaced the messages.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew Lewis
Net Admin, CICT/OOC
Univ. of Amsterdam
--
Matthew Lewis, University of Amsterdam		Grote Bickersstraat 72
+31-20-52 51 220				1013 KS  Amsterdam

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (08/15/90)

matthew@ooc.uva.nl (Matthew Lewis) writes:

>Hello!  We are looking for a way to provide mail directory services for a
>private wide-area network, in such a way that a user would be able to type in
>a name, and get back the person's mail address.  In addition, or alternately,
>to be able to send to an ambiguous address, and have it delivered, or to get
>back a message with the correct address.

The Computing Services Office at the University of Illinois at
Urbana has created  a university-wide mailing system.  The
system is comprised of three pieces.  The largest is the
white-pages system created by Steve Dorner of CSO.  It's
based on the CSnet central name server (qi - Query Interpreter).
Each student and staff member is assigned a unique alias.  The
user is allowed to change the issued alias provided it remains
unique.  Associated with this alias is the user's preferred email
address, office address, home address, phone numbers, etc.
Everything that is in the paper phone book is also in the qi
database.

The user client is a program called ph.  It searches on the
unique alias and can fuzzy match on names.  Providing ancillary
information such as department or curriculum narrows the search.

The whois client program can also be used.  Try
	whois -h ns.uiuc.edu pomes

The second piece is the 5.64+IDA-1.3.4 sendmail release.
The ida/cf/Sendmail.mc file has been very slightly modified to
invoke a new mailer, phquery, whenever an address resolves to
<name>@uiuc.edu.  This is configured with the ALTERNATENAMES
option.

Phquery is the third piece.  It examines its arguments and calls
qi to determine the preferred email address for the supplied
name.  At this time, name can be either the qi alias, full
names (e.g., paul-pomes@uiuc.edu -> paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu), and
amateur radio callsigns (e.g., ka9wgn@uiuc.edu ->
phil@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu).  In the case of ambiguous matches,
phquery will return a list of possibilities that includes
department and/or curriculum information that should allow the
sender to make the next attempt successful.

Future enhancements include automated printing and campus mailing
of messages to those users w.o. email addresses, and automatic
inclusion of Reply-To: <alias>@uiuc.edu in replies.

Source for the qi (central server) and ph (user client) can be
obtained via anon-FTP from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:/net/{ph,qi}.  The
phquery code, is in the /mail/sendmail/uiuc directory.

Sorry, we cannot email this code as it is much too large.
Chocolate chip cookies with a postpaid tape will work wonders
though.

A mailing list has been established to discuss qi/ph/phquery
enhancements and to announce new releases.  Send mail to
info-ph-request@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu to be added to the list.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2987