[comp.mail.misc] is user@iguana == user@iguana.UUCP or user@iguana.local.domain?

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (08/13/90)

[ Followups to comp.mail.misc, as this issue does not limit itself to one
  area ]

i registered iguana as a name with the UUCP mapping project which i understand
are the maintainers of the .uucp pseudo-domain.  this was done a while ago:

u.can.on.2:#W      iguana!merce (Jim Mercer); Thu Dec 28 00:31:23 EST 1989

recently, i have been receiving mail for user@iguana.???.???.edu,
user@iguana.???.com, etc. etc.

now, what's the deal here?

as i see it someone one on a machine under one of these domains sends mail
to user@iguana (meaning user@iguana.local.domain) but for some reason it
goes to user@iguana.UUCP (and i mean that explicitly as i have seen in the
headers where it changes from iguana.local.domain to iguana.uucp in the

is this a TCP/IP MX'er problem?
is this a sendmail problem?
does this happen every time someone sets up a new sub-domain with an
identical name to that of a .uucp site?

thus far i have received around 8 messages this way.

my action so far has been to attempt to reroute the message and inform the
postmasters of the various sites.

i deleted the mail so i don't have an example for you.  if this discussion
still lives and i get another bounced message, i'll post the relevant parts.

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Systems Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]

Makey@Logicon.COM (Jeff Makey) (08/14/90)

The iguana.foo.bar sites are at fault for letting non-FQDNs escape
their domain.  As the administrator for snoopy.UUCP I occasionally
have the same problem, and polite mail to the postmaster of the
intended destination system named "snoopy" has always elicited a
"we'll fix it" response.  Although I normally try to be as
accommodating as possible when it comes to getting the mail through,
in these cases I prefer to let the mail bounce so they are properly
motivated to fix things.

In addition to mis-configured mailers, if someone other than yourself
is putting "iguana" in the Path: header of news articles then that
will also be a source of mis-routed mail.

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: All opinions are strictly those of the author.
    Internet: Makey@Logicon.COM    UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!logicon.com!Makey

joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug13.160019.15126@lsuc.on.ca> merce@iguana.UUCP (Jim Mercer) writes:
>[ Followups to comp.mail.misc, as this issue does not limit itself to one
>  area ]

	It's them.

	You *have* to tweek pathalias (uses the comp.mail.maps) to handle
	these conflicts.

	Please notify the adminstrators of the sites that are sending you
	email to fix their end.

	We have to do the same here at AT&T. We label our links as (LOCAL)
	so they have a lower cost - we fail on the side of caution.
	We don't want some proprietary email going to Canada (no offense).

	When those adminsitrators find out what's hapening, either from
	the remote site admin (you) or local folks with failed email to
	iguana!my_pal_joey - when they know he's valid (locally).

	Joseph Judge		postmaster@ATT.COM

(Hi Jim - why doesn't iguana talk to lsuc?? )