[comp.mail.misc] Mail handler that uses compressed storage?

aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (08/14/90)

I really like MH -- it pre-sorts my mail, stores my text file archives,
walks my dog, everything -- but leaving all of this stuff around in
individual uncompressed files is starting to be a pain.  Is there a
mail handler floating around that uses some kind of compressed archival
storage (compressed mbox/ar/tar/whatever, zoo, zip, arc)?  Bonus points
for one that doesn't use the now-politically-incorrect LZW algorithm ..
--
Paul M. Aoki | aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU | "Nice girls don't explode."

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (08/15/90)

In article <38129@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
} Is there a
} mail handler floating around that uses some kind of compressed archival
} storage (compressed mbox/ar/tar/whatever, zoo, zip, arc)?  Bonus points
} for one that doesn't use the now-politically-incorrect LZW algorithm ..

The Mush 7.1 distribution includes a set of mush command aliases and
scripts to manage compressed mbox files.  It presently uses the dreaded
"compress", but because it's a script you can change that.
--
Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu

kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Kevin E Cosgrove) (08/16/90)

In article <11368@ogicse.ogi.edu> schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
>The Mush 7.1 distribution includes a set of mush command aliases and
>scripts to manage compressed mbox files.  It presently uses the dreaded
>"compress", but because it's a script you can change that.
>--
>Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu

OK, why is "compress" dreaded?

        Kevin Cosgrove          bucket.UUCP!cathouse!kevinc
        OSU EE Senior           tektronix!tessi!bucket!cathouse!kevinc
        (503)-297-6067          kevinc%cathouse.uucp@bucket.UUCP

kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) (08/21/90)

Paul M. Aoki writes:
 > Is there a mail handler floating around that uses some kind of
 > compressed archival storage (compressed mbox/ar/tar/whatever,
 > zoo, zip, arc)?  Bonus points for one that doesn't use the
 > now-politically-incorrect LZW algorithm ..

VM, a mailer that runs under GNU Emacs, in conjunction with the
Emacs-Lisp package crypt.el, can be made to deal with mail in
compressed, compacted or encrypted folders.

Both VM and crypt.el are obtainable from me.  Emacs you'll have to
find for yourself.  :)

jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Jerry Peek) (08/22/90)

In article <38129@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
> I really like MH -- it pre-sorts my mail, stores my text file archives,
> walks my dog, everything -- but leaving all of this stuff around in
> individual uncompressed files is starting to be a pain.  Is there a
> mail handler floating around that uses some kind of compressed archival
> storage (compressed mbox/ar/tar/whatever, zoo, zip, arc)?  Bonus points
> for one that doesn't use the now-politically-incorrect LZW algorithm ..

I have a set of shell scripts named zrefile, zfolders, and zscan.
They handle compressed "MH folders" that are really compressed tar archives.
I use them to archive messages that I want to keep around, and might want to
put back into an un-compressed MH folder some day, but don't need that often.
They use 'compress', but they could be changed to use anything else.

For example, to add the last 5 messages from the current folder into the
archive named 'conference', you type:
	% zrefile -add last:5 -z conference

If you want a copy, send me mail.  BTW, rodan.acs.syr.edu is being
replaced by new hardware with the same name; it might take a few days.

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu, JDPEEK@SUNRISE.BITNET        +1 315 443-3995