[comp.mail.misc] UUCP Mail Software for MS-DOS/PC-DOS

shih@violet.berkeley.edu (Andrew Shih) (08/22/90)

Hello to all of those E-mail gurus out in net land.

I am trying to set up my PC as a UUCP site and exchange mail with a
another local UUCP/INTERNET site, most likely running a unix based system.

My hard disk equipped PC is running MS-DOS (what else did you expect)
and I have a 1200 baud Hayes compatible modem.  So...I'm looking for
DOS based communication software that can exchange E-mail/USENET-News
with UUCP hosts.  I'm certain that such software must exist (although if
it doesn't, please tell me).

Assuming of course that such software does in fact exist...where do find
it???  Is it public domain??? And how sophisticated is it????

Thanks in Advance

Andrew Shih
------------------
Reply To:  shih@violet.Berkeley.EDU  ...ucbvax!violet.berkeley.edu!shih
      or:  Andrew H. Shih, 1630 Merrill St. #505, Santa Cruz, CA  95062
      or:  Andrew H. Shih, Watkins-Johnson Company, 440 Kings Village Rd.
               Scotts Valley, CA  95066

p.s. Suggestions to the effect of: "get XENIX or some other PC based unix"
     are unacceptable.  I need something that will work in DOS.
Andrew H. Shih, Asst Pub. Rel. Dir/California Marching Band
-----------------------------------Cal Band Great-----------Cymbals LTW---
USnail: 2231 Ward St. Apt B   	       		ARPA: shih@violet.Berkeley.EDU
  	Berkeley, CA  94705 (415)843-8335	UUCP:...ucbvax!violet!shih

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug22.065741.18485@agate.berkeley.edu> shih@violet.berkeley.edu (Andrew Shih) writes:
> I am trying to set up my PC as a UUCP site and exchange mail with a
> another local UUCP/INTERNET site, most likely running a unix based system.

> p.s. Suggestions to the effect of: "get XENIX or some other PC based unix"
>      are unacceptable.  I need something that will work in DOS.

Mush runs under dos and uses UUPC to do the unix<->dos connections.
Currently only mush version 6.5 is available for DOS, but 7.1.2
(the current version) should be available when Mike O'Carroll returns
from Austrailia to England (he's the guy who did the DOS port).

To get the dos version, ftp to cse.ogi.edu in the directory pub/mush.
I *think* it's there (someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong).
Else, you can query comp.mail.mush for its whereabouts.

As I undersatnd it, both mush and uupc are available in the arc file
you get.  Note: *I* have nothing to do with the DOS version of this
product -- you must get it from the aforementioned ftp site or mail to
    Mike O'Carroll <lmoc@elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk>

--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com

shih@violet.berkeley.edu (Andrew Shih) (08/23/90)

Egads!!!

Thanks for all of those replies....I think my question has been answered
more than adequetely.!!!!

One great thing about the net... Lot's o knowledgeable people who are
always willing to help.

BTW, for those who asked:

YES, I am dialing into Berkeley from Santa Cruz...and it's starting to
get expensive.  Consequently, I'm trying to find ways to set myself up
as a single user UUCP site so that I can simply dial up a local UUCP
site willing to act as MX. While I was going to school, I grew extremely
attached to the NET and being able to use E-mail widely.  So now, I'm
out of school, I'm trying to find ways of doing it w/o buying online
time from a local university internet domain.

In fact, if anyone out there has run a UUCP site from their PC using
the aforementioned software, I'd appreciate learning about your experiences
doing so....gripes, comments, advice, info about registering the site name,
etc...

Of course there's no great hurry and no need to clog up the net unless
it's extremely interesting.  (due to the long distance bills I don't
look @ news unless I absolutely have to)

thanks All!!

Andrew
shih@violet.berkeley.edu

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.045146.6720@agate.berkeley.edu> shih@violet.berkeley.edu (Andrew Shih) writes:
> Thanks for all of those replies....I think my question has been answered
> more than adequetely.!!!!

But you didn't summarize your reqsponses!  Enquiring minds want to know..

> YES, I am dialing into Berkeley from Santa Cruz...and it's starting to
> get expensive.

Why don't you poll ucsc?  It's free and Jim Hanes (root@ucscc.ucsc.edu)
is a great guy.