[comp.mail.misc] Status line in headers

reino@cs.eur.nl (Reino de Boer) (08/21/90)

Could someone tell me what the "Status: " line in mail headers is used
for ?  Sometimes there's no such line, and sometimes the line contains

Thanks, Reino
--
Reino R. A. de Boer     "We want to build the right product right, right?"
Erasmus University Rotterdam ( Informatica )

In article <1990Aug21.114941.13504@cs.eur.nl> reino@cs.eur.nl (Reino de Boer) writes:
> Could someone tell me what the "Status: " line in mail headers is used
> for ?

It's put there by the MUA to track what messages have already been read.

> Sometimes there's no such line, and sometimes the line contains

I haven't either:

	O	Opened. You have read mail since this message
		was deposited in your mailbox.
	R	Read. You have actually read this message (how much
		depends on the MUA, most will set this flag if you
		have only seen the first page).
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug21.114941.13504@cs.eur.nl> reino@cs.eur.nl (Reino de Boer) writes:
>Could someone tell me what the "Status: " line in mail headers is used
>for ?  Sometimes there's no such line, and sometimes the line contains

	The Status: line is not a "sent" header. I think the mailer, that you
	use to read your mailbox, puts these in to keep track of what you
	have seen or read.

	No Status: line means unread, so it puts a "N" (new) in the left column.
	Else, it puts whatever status code on the left. (O, R, S)

	Joseph Judge		postmaster@ATT.COM

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (08/24/90)

In article <:YD5PR7@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <1990Aug21.114941.13504@cs.eur.nl> reino@cs.eur.nl (Reino de Boer) writes:
> > Could someone tell me what the "Status: " line in mail headers is used
> > for ?
>
> 	O	Opened. You have read mail since this message
> 		was deposited in your mailbox.
> 	R	Read. You have actually read this message (how much
> 		depends on the MUA, most will set this flag if you
> 		have only seen the first page).

Mush uses this status line as well to track whether or not you've
saved mail, printed it, replied to it, forwarded it to others. etc..

--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com