[comp.mail.misc] <generic> mail Gateways

frotz@dri.com (Frotz) (09/05/90)

frotz@dri.com (Frotz) writes:

]Does anyone know of a connection to MCI mail users?  I know that there
]is one for c$erve.  Are there gateways for any of the other major "MCI
]Mail like" services?
]--
]Frotz

Well, I got a lot of replies (and thanks to all!).  For the
edification of the net, I think that this might be warranted.
Appologies if it is not appropriate, as I have never heard of this
document before.

Thanks to all again...
--
Frotz

)From: uunet!relay.EU.net!dvv%hq.demos.su (Dmitry V. Volodin)
)Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 13:50:39 MSD
)To: frotz@dri.com
)Subject: Re: Looking for a MCI Gateway...
)
)Enjoy:
)
)--cut--
)# Inter-Network Mail Guide - Copyright 1990 by John J. Chew
)#   $Header: netmail,v 1.10 90/04/30 18:30:36 john Exp $
)#
)# COPYRIGHT NOTICE
)#
)# This document is Copyright 1990 by John J. Chew.  All rights reserved.
)# Permission for non-commercial distribution is hereby granted, provided
)# that this file is distributed intact, including this copyright notice
)# and the version information above.  Permission for commercial distribution
)# can be obtained by contacting the author as described below.
)#
)# If you plan to redistribute this list on a regular basis in a
)# non-commercial medium, please send me mail.  I can then arrange to
)# mail you each new edition and save you the trouble of fetching it
)# from a newsgroup.
)#
)#
)# INTRODUCTION
)#
)# This file documents methods of sending mail from one network to another.
)# It represents the aggregate knowledge of the readers of comp.mail.misc
)# and many contributors elsewhere.  If you know of any corrections or
)# additions to this file, please read the file format documentation below
)# and then mail to me: John J. Chew <poslfit@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>.  If
)# you do not have access to electronic mail (which makes me wonder about
)# the nature of your interest in the subject, but there does seem to be
)# a small such population out there) you can call me between 14:00 and
)# 18:00 Eastern Time (UTC-4h or UTC-5h depending on the time of year) at
)# +1 416 425 3818.
)#
)#
)# HOW TO USE THIS GUIDE
)#
)# Each entry in this file describes how to get from one network to another.
)# To keep this file at a reasonable size, methods that can be generated by
)# transitivity (A->B and B->C gives A->B->C) are omitted.  Entries are sorted
)# first by source network and then by destination network.  This is what a
)# typical entry looks like:
)#
)#   #F mynet
)#   #T yournet
)#   #R youraddress
)#   #C contact address if any
)#   #I send to "youraddress@thegateway"
)#
)# For parsing purposes, entries are separated by at least one blank line,
)# and each line of an entry begins with a `#' followed by a letter.  Lines
)# beginning with `# ' are comments and need not be parsed.  Lines which do
)# not start with a `#' at all should be ignored as they are probably mail
)# or news headers.
)#
)# #F (from) and #T (to) lines specify source and destination networks.
)# If you're sending me information about a new network, please give me
)# a brief description of the network so that I can add it to the list
)# below.  The abbreviated network names used in #F and #T lines should
)# consist only of the characters a-z, 0-9 and `-' unless someone can
)# make a very convincing case for their favourite pi character.
)#
)# These are the currently known networks with abbreviated names:
)#
)#   applelink     Apple Computer, Inc.'s in-house network
)#   bitnet        international academic network
)#   bix           Byte Information eXchange: Byte magazine's commercial BBS
)#   bmug          Berkeley Macintosh Users Group
)#   compuserve    commercial time-sharing service
)#   connect       Connect Professional Information Network (commercial)
)#   envoy	  Envoy-100 (Canadian commercial mail service)
)#   fax           Facsimile document transmission
)#   fidonet       PC-based BBS network
)#   geonet        GeoNet Mailbox Systems (commercial)
)#   ieee-compmail A DIALCOM system supporting IEEE users
)#   internet      the Internet
)#   mci           MCI's commercial electronic mail service
)#   mfenet        Magnetic Fusion Energy Network
)#   nasamail      NASA internal electronic mail
)#   peacenet      non-profit mail service
)#   sinet         Schlumberger Information NETwork
)#   span          Space Physics Analysis Network
)#   telemail      Telenet's commercial mail service
)#   thenet        Texas Higher Education Network
)#   usdamail      A DIALCOM system supporting USDA researchers
)#
)# #R (recipient) gives an example of an address on the destination network,
)# to make it clear in subsequent lines what text requires subsitution.
)#
)# #C (contact) gives an address for inquiries concerning the gateway,
)# expressed as an address reachable from the source (#F) network.
)# Presumably, if you can't get the gateway to work at all, then knowing
)# an unreachable address on another network will not be of great help.
)#
)# #I (instructions) lines, of which there may be several, give verbal
)# instructions to a user of the source network to let them send mail
)# to a user on the destination network.  Text that needs to be typed
)# will appear in double quotes, with C-style escapes if necessary.
)
)#F applelink
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I send to "user@domain@internet#"
)#I   domain can be be of the form "site.bitnet", address must be <35 characters
)
)#F bitnet
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I Methods for sending mail from Bitnet to the Internet vary depending on
)#I what mail software is running at the Bitnet site in question.  In the
)#I best case, users should simply be able to send mail to "user@domain".
)#I If this doesn't work, try "user%domain@gateway" where "gateway" is a
)#I regional Bitnet-Internet gateway site.  Finally, if neither of these
)#I works, you may have to try hand-coding an SMTP envelope for your mail.
)#I If you have questions concerning this rather terse note, please try
)#I contacting your local postmaster or system administrator first before
)#I you send me mail -- John Chew <poslfit@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>
)
)#F compuserve
)#T fax
)#R +1 415 555 1212
)#I send to "FAX 14155551212" (only to U.S.A.)
)
)#F compuserve
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I send to ">INTERNET:user@domain"
)
)#F compuserve
)#T mci
)#R 123-4567
)#I send to ">MCIMAIL:123-4567"
)
)#F connect
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I send to CONNECT id "DASNET"
)#I first line of message: "\"user@domain\"@DASNET"
)
)#F envoy
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I send to "[ID=\"attbl!uunet!domain!user\" @UUCP]ATTMAIL/USA"
)#I   or to "[MAIL @NASA]NASAMAIL/TELEMAIL/US" with first line "To: user@domain"
)
)#F fidonet
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I send to "uucp" at nearest gateway site
)#I first line of message: "To: user@domain"
)
)#F geonet
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I send to "DASNET"
)#I subject line: "user@domain!subject"
)
)#F ieee-compmail
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I send to "INTERMAIL (134:CMP0817)"
)#I first line of body: "Forward: ARPA"
)#I second line of body: "To: user@domain"
)#I third line of body: "" (blank)
)
)#F internet
)#T applelink
)#R user
)#I send to "user@applelink.apple.com"
)
)#F internet
)#T bitnet
)#R user@site
)#I send to "user%site.bitnet@gateway" where "gateway" is a gateway host that
)#I   is on both the internet and bitnet.  Some examples of gateways are:
)#I   cunyvm.cuny.edu mitvma.mit.edu.  Check first to see what local policies
)#I   are concerning inter-network forwarding.
)
)#F internet
)#T bix
)#R user
)#I send to "user@dcibix.das.net"
)
)#F internet
)#T bmug
)#R John Smith
)#I send to "John.Smith@bmug.fidonet.org"
)
)#F internet
)#T compuserve
)#R 7xxxx,yyy
)#I send to "7xxxx.yyy@compuserve.com"
)
)#F internet
)#T connect
)#R NAME
)#I send to "NAME@dcjcon.das.net"
)
)#F internet
)#T envoy
)#R John Smith (ID=userid)
)#C /C=CANADA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/ID=ICS.TEST/S=TESTGROUP/@nasamail.nasa.gov
)#C   for second method only
)#I send to "uunet.uu.net!att!attmail!mhs!envoy!userid"
)#I   or to
)#I   "/C-CANADA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/ID=userid/G=John/S=Smith/@nasamail.nasa.gov"
)
)#F internet
)#T fidonet
)#R john smith at 1:2/3
)#I send to "john.smith@f3.n2.z1.fidonet.org"
)
)#F internet
)#T geonet
)#R user at host
)#I send to "user:host@map.das.net"
)#I American host is geo4, European host is geo1.
)
)#F internet
)#T ieee-compmail
)#R CMP1234
)#C Commercial Mail Relay <Intermail-Request@Intermail.ISI.EDU>
)#I send to "CMP1234%COMPMAIL@Intermail.ISI.EDU>
)
)#F internet
)#T mci
)#R John Smith (123-4567)
)#I send to "1234567@mcimail.com"
)#I or send to "JSMITH@mcimail.com" if "JSMITH" is unique
)#I or send to "John_Smith@mcimail.com" if "John Smith" is unique - note the
)#I    underscore!
)#I or send to "John_Smith/1234567@mcimail.com" if "John Smith" is NOT unique
)
)#F internet
)#T mfenet
)#R user@mfenode
)#I send to "user%mfenode.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa"
)
)#F internet
)#T nasamail
)#R user
)#C <postmaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov>
)#I send to "user@nasamail.nasa.gov"
)
)#F internet
)#T peacenet
)#R user
)#C <support%cdp@arisia.xerox.com>
)#I send to "user%cdp@arisia.xerox.com"
)
)#F internet
)#T sinet
)#R node::user or node1::node::user
)#I send to "user@node.SINet.SLB.COM" or "user%node@node1.SINet.SLB.COM"
)
)#F internet
)#T span
)#R user@host
)#C <NETMGR@nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov>
)#I send to "user@host.span.NASA.gov"
)#I   or to "user%host.span@ames.arc.nasa.gov"
)
)#F internet
)#T telemail
)#R [user/organization]system/country
)#C <Intermail-request@intermail.isi.edu>
)#I send to "\"[user/organization]system/country%TELEMAIL\"@intermail.isi.edu"
)
)#F internet
)#T thenet
)#R user@host
)#I send to "user%host.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu"
)
)#F internet
)#T usdamail
)#R AGS1234
)#C Commercial Mail Relay <Intermail-Request@Intermail.ISI.EDU>
)#I send to "AGS1234%USDAMAIL@Intermail.ISI.EDU>
)
)#F mci
)#T internet
)#R John Smith <user@domain>
)#I at the "To:" prompt type "John Smith (EMS)"
)#I at the "EMS:" prompt type "internet"
)#I at the "Mbx:" prompt type "user@domain"
)
)#F nasamail
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I at the "To:" prompt type "POSTMAN"
)#I at the "Subject:" prompt enter the subject of your message
)#I at the "Text:" prompt, i.e. as the first line of your message,
)#I    enter "To: user@domain"
)
)#F sinet
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#I send to "M_MAILNOW::M_INTERNET::\"user@domain\""
)#I      or "M_MAILNOW::M_INTERNET::domain::user"
)
)#F span
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#C NETMGR@NSSDCA
)#I send to "AMES::\"user@domain\""
)
)#F telemail
)#T internet
)#R user@domain
)#C <Intermail-Request@intermail.isi.edu>
)#I send to [INTERMAIL/USCISI]TELEMAIL/USA
)#I first line of message: "Forward: ARPA"
)#I second line of message: "To: user@domain"
)
)#F thenet
)#T internet