[comp.mail.misc] AT&T replies

psrc@mtunq.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.205508.16479@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>Does anyone else out there have a hard time sending replies to att-ites?
>	1) Article is posted from "bell@cbnews.att.com (alex.g.bell)"
>	2) I attempt to reply to that address
>	3) My reply bounces, for various reasons, at cbnews.
>All this comes about because, of course, Alex does not REALLY have an
>account on cbnews, but instead on another att machine that lets cbnews
>do all the postings.

I'm surprised the reply doesn't work.  Another way to answer Alex would
be to send e-mail to alex.g.bell@att.com; Bell's name would be looked
up in the AT&T internal e-mail directory, and forwarded to the e-mail
address listed there.  (It's impossible to look up information in the
directory and have the result sent outside of AT&T; that's both a
security and a privacy feature.)  The middle name or initial is
optional.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories (paul.s.r.chisholm@att.com)
att!mtunq!psrc, psrc@mtunq.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (08/23/90)

In article <1255@mtunq.ATT.COM> psrc@mtunq.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>In article <1990Aug19.205508.16479@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>>Does anyone else out there have a hard time sending replies to att-ites?
>>	1) Article is posted from "bell@cbnews.att.com (alex.g.bell)"
>>	2) I attempt to reply to that address
>>	3) My reply bounces, for various reasons, at cbnews.
>>All this comes about because, of course, Alex does not REALLY have an
>>account on cbnews, but instead on another att machine that lets cbnews
>>do all the postings.
>I'm surprised the reply doesn't work.  Another way to answer Alex would
>be to send e-mail to alex.g.bell@att.com;

Listen..  by putting out e-mail headers with addresses like that
you are claiming to be able to handle mail addressed like so.
ergo-cum-quid cbnews.att.com is *BROKEN*

Saying that doing something unintuitive and specific-to-att.com is
a very bad way to handle the situation.  Mr. Lesher described the
normal way in which people try to reply to mail.  What he tried
doing is the way it is supposed to work.  This is why I say that
cbnews.att.com is *BROKEN*.

> Bell's name would be looked
>up in the AT&T internal e-mail directory, and forwarded to the e-mail
>address listed there.

That's fine.  That's wonderful.  I don't like that attempt to
toss all those people into one pool of names, but AT&T can
do as they wish.  Past experience with host names is that it
is a very bad thing to try to use just one pool of names -- that
seperating them into hierarchies is much better.  My feeling is
that the same holds true for the local-part of e-mail addresses.

If the header were to read "From: alex.g.bell@att.com" then
it would work.

>(It's impossible to look up information in the
>directory and have the result sent outside of AT&T; that's both a
>security and a privacy feature.)  The middle name or initial is
>optional.

I'm curious.. assumably your directory will eventually be
attached to an X.500 server.  One of the features which will
likely be in X.400 user-agents is a hook into X.500 directories
so that if you don't know specific details about somebody
you can go querying around to get them so you can fill in
attributes in the X.400 headers.

With the sort of policy you claim AT&T has, how will this work?
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

anagram@desire.wright.edu ((For Mongo)) (08/24/90)

In article <7801@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
> In article <1255@mtunq.ATT.COM> psrc@mtunq.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>>I'm surprised the reply doesn't work.  Another way to answer Alex would
>>be to send e-mail to alex.g.bell@att.com;
>
> Listen..  by putting out e-mail headers with addresses like that
> you are claiming to be able to handle mail addressed like so.

And so they can, usually.  This sounds like a classic case of computer error.
Even the computers make mistakes sometimes.

> ergo-cum-quid cbnews.att.com is *BROKEN*

Not really.  Gliched maybe, but not broken.  I've replied to many that way, and
never had a problem.

mark@cbnewsu.att.com (Mark Horton) (08/31/90)

In article <7801@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
> Listen..  by putting out e-mail headers with addresses like that
> you are claiming to be able to handle mail addressed like so.
> ergo-cum-quid cbnews.att.com is *BROKEN*
>
> Saying that doing something unintuitive and specific-to-att.com is
> a very bad way to handle the situation.  Mr. Lesher described the
> normal way in which people try to reply to mail.  What he tried
> doing is the way it is supposed to work.  This is why I say that
> cbnews.att.com is *BROKEN*.

If you reply to this article, I wager to say the reply will get through.
cbnews has to deal with 200,000 AT&T employees in a company that is
reorganizing at an amazing rate.  It's inevitable that a few users
are going to have some problems.  The system as a whole is not broken,
anymore than TWG would be broken if you suddenly left (and your account
were deleted) or moved and then I tried to reply to something you posted
right before you left.

We have determined that the error rate recently went beyond our
acceptable standards of quality and identified the cause.  We have a
fix designed and expect to install the fix next week after appropriate
testing.

> If the header were to read "From: alex.g.bell@att.com" then
> it would work.

Excellent idea, but it runs into trouble for all the John Smith's
or David Jones in a 200,000 person company.  We're looking into
solutions for this, but we aren't there yet.

> >(It's impossible to look up information in the
> >directory and have the result sent outside of AT&T; that's both a
> >security and a privacy feature.)  The middle name or initial is
> >optional.
>
> I'm curious.. assumably your directory will eventually be
> attached to an X.500 server.  One of the features which will
> likely be in X.400 user-agents is a hook into X.500 directories
> so that if you don't know specific details about somebody
> you can go querying around to get them so you can fill in
> attributes in the X.400 headers.
>
> With the sort of policy you claim AT&T has, how will this work?

Simple.  We will deliver mail, and even help fill out the form for
a specific user.  What we don't do is let you browse the directory
to accumulate a list of employees.

	Mark

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (09/02/90)

There is a rumor in the Computer Underground Digest
(alt.society.cu-digest, v2 n1,) from "Anonymous, somewhere in Texas"
that AT&T provided Secret Service agents with access to 'attctc',
nee 'killer', for the purpose of monitoring the hacker community.

Read the whole digest (article <1537@chinacat.Unicom.COM>) for more
information.

Anyone from AT&T here prepared to reply to this one?

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug30.183437.11916@cbnewsu.att.com> mark@cbnewsu.att.com (Mark Horton) writes:
>In article <7801@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>> Listen..  by putting out e-mail headers with addresses like that
>> you are claiming to be able to handle mail addressed like so.
>> ergo-cum-quid cbnews.att.com is *BROKEN*
[...]
>We have determined that the error rate recently went beyond our
>acceptable standards of quality and identified the cause.  We have a
>fix designed and expect to install the fix next week after appropriate
>testing.

Ok.  Sorry.  I overreacted.  I'd seen a claim from somebody that a
particular address didn't work.  I've also seen signatures from
cbnewsx.att.com users directing followups to some other host.  And I've
also had at least one problem mailing to a cbnewsx.att.com address.
All of which led me to believe that things were "*BROKEN*".

>> If the header were to read "From: alex.g.bell@att.com" then
>> it would work.
>
>Excellent idea, but it runs into trouble for all the John Smith's
>or David Jones in a 200,000 person company.  We're looking into
>solutions for this, but we aren't there yet.

er.. yeah..  And you run into the same trouble with the "attmail"
service you're already running.  That there's only one pile of names
and it's rather impossible to avoid collisions in a large enough
pile of names.  Leading to Harris's Lament: All the good ones are
taken.  Eh?  :-)

I see that problem as being very similar to host naming problems
that we've seen on ARPAnet, UUCP and BITNET.  Each one ran into
problems when the host base reached the 3-5,000 range.

[Long question about X.500 queries over network in order to fill out
 e-mail headers and the like]

>Simple.  We will deliver mail, and even help fill out the form for
>a specific user.  What we don't do is let you browse the directory
>to accumulate a list of employees.
>
>	Mark

I read this as saying that particular non-AT&T people will have to be
authorized in some way or another for particular queries and that you
won't answer to open ended queries?
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-
<- Sign me up for one "I survived Jaka's Story" T-shirt!

psrc@cbnewsl.att.com (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (09/05/90)

What has come before:  David S. Herron (david@twg.com, who posts from
gollum.twg.com [which is sort of relevant to this discussion, if you
think about it]) complained that replies to AT&T users posting from the
cbnews systems didn't work.  Both Mark Horton (mark@cbfsa.att.com, who
posts from cbnewsu.att.com) and I (psrc@mtunq.att.com, who used to post
from there, but now post from cbnewsl.att.com) recommended, as a
workaround, sending e-mail to a human name at the logical AT&T gateway
(e.g., alex.g.bell@att.com).

The real solution is to get cbnews messages correctly forwarded.  They
work in general; Mark and the other members of the AT&T newnews team
are working on fixing the remaining cases.  My personal workaround is
to add a Reply-To: line to my articles.

In article <7878@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
> er.. yeah..  And you run into the same trouble with the "attmail"
> service you're already running.  That there's only one pile of names
> and it's rather impossible to avoid collisions in a large enough
> pile of names.

Human name addressing is convenient . . . but it's not sufficient to
handle all cases.  If you send mail to attmail!john.smith, I think
you'll get a complaint that your mail was undeliverable, a list of all
the John Smith's, and your original message.  I assume something
similar works for john.smith@att.com.  In either case, e-mail from John
Smith should have a reasonably good From: line, with a "real" e-mail
address, not one based on human names.  (AT&T Mail will use a bangish
address, e.g., From: attmail!jqsmith; it doesn't support DNS addresses.
I've talked the the Appropriate People in AT&T Mail, and don't see DNS
support any time in the immediate future.)

> [Long question about X.500 queries over network in order to fill out
>  e-mail headers and the like]

Mark:
> Simple.  We will deliver mail, and even help fill out the form for
> a specific user.  What we don't do is let you browse the directory
> to accumulate a list of employees.

David:
> I read this as saying that particular non-AT&T people will have to be
> authorized in some way or another for particular queries and that you
> won't answer to open ended queries?

Darned tootin', and I hope it stays that way.  We *don't* want to give
Joe Random a list of every member of the technical staff, with his or
her title, address, phone number, and e-mail address.  I can always
tell when someone sells a (proprietary) AT&T directory to a headhunter
or a stock broker; the phones start ringing in alphabetical order.
It's a pain in the tush.  Human name addressing, fine; invitations for
harassment (or distraction from AT&T business) during working hours, no
thanks!