[comp.mail.misc] Seeking opinions on Quaterman's "Matrix"

dayger@penelope.Oswego.EDU (Tim Dayger) (09/05/90)

All:

I'm thinking about purchasing a copy of John Quaterman's book the "Matrix".
I'd like to hear from people who've read it.

My main questions are these;

	1) How comprehensive/complete is it?  Do you feel that you gained a
	   substantial amount of knowledge/understanding from it?

	2) How "readable" is this work:  Is it written in fairly plain English,
	   such that someone oF normal intelligence with general knowledge of
	   existing networks can fathom it?  Or is this another one of those
	   "textbooks" where the author tries to dazzle the reader with his
	   extreme brilliance and self-importance by packing 20 jargon terms
	   into every sentence; wether needed or not?

	3) Is it worth the $49.95 sticker-price?

Your response is appreciated.

---
Tim E Dayger
dayger@oswego.oswego.edu
dayger@snyoswva.bitnet
------------------------

de5@de5.CTD.ORNL.GOV (Dave Sill) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Sep5.020102.21585@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, dayger@penelope.Oswego.EDU (Tim Dayger) writes:

>I'm thinking about purchasing a copy of John Quaterman's book the "Matrix".

Small nit: it's "Quarterman", not "Quaterman".

>	1) How comprehensive/complete is it?  Do you feel that you gained a
>	   substantial amount of knowledge/understanding from it?

It's *very* complete.  I'd call it the quantum reference network manual.

>	2) How "readable" is this work:  Is it written in fairly plain English,
>	   such that someone oF normal intelligence with general knowledge of
>	   existing networks can fathom it?

I think so.

>	3) Is it worth the $49.95 sticker-price?

Yes.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)		These are my opinions.
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

tanida@alvis.css.gov (Tom Tanida) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep5.020102.21585@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, dayger@penelope (Tim Dayger) writes:
>I'm thinking about purchasing a copy of John Quaterman's book the "Matrix".
>I'd like to hear from people who've read it.
>
>	1) How comprehensive/complete is it?  Do you feel that you gained a
>	   substantial amount of knowledge/understanding from it?

I learned quite a bit about the Net reading this book.  It has a
little of everything, so there isn't a lot of *depth*, but there is
quite a bit of *breadth*.  In this sense it also provides a decent
net reference.

>	2) How "readable" is this work:  Is it written in fairly plain English,
>	   such that someone oF normal intelligence with general knowledge of
>	   existing networks can fathom it?  Or is this another one of those

It's very readable- mainly because it is presenting overviews of a lot
of things.  The maps are interesting but in a way useless since nobody
could ever trace Internet/Usenet paths from a map with a billion lines
going to/from a billion sites on one page.

>	3) Is it worth the $49.95 sticker-price?
I think so.  Of course, I bought it discounted for $41, so maybe I
wouldn't know. :)

-Tom