[comp.mail.misc] Problems with MMDF and UUCP mail

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (09/14/90)

In article <7927@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

   [ I wrote ]
>> that the
>> current UUCP channel does not invoke uux with the
>> -aremote.domain!remote-user,

> in fact this is the first time
> I've ever heard of that option

Maybe *that*'s why the option isn't exercised :-)  Of course, for people like
me who don't have an MMDF source license, but only binary from SCO ... :-)
Ooops, actually I Steve K *did* write a license for my other site, so I suppose
that's my excuse gone -- damn :-)  Who's maintaining the uucp channel nowadays
anyway ?

> As to whether this is a problem?  Sendmail sites generally have the
> UUCP originator be `daemon' so I don't see how that's very different
> from MMDF sites having the originator be `mmdf'.  Can you explain further?

Erm.  I think I've had the From_ line be the -a user before in one weird
configuration once, but I can't remember what it was.  I do remember it
happening though, which is why I thought it was the asme problem as the
original poster's problem -- though I may be wrong on that point.

> But all the rmail's I've seen simply scan
> through From<space>'s and >From<space>'s and concatenate strings.  So
> where would this change be made?)

I can't remember how it happened,, though I think that the delivery was
done in a most peculiar way.  Sorry :-(  I can't make it happen anymore ...

>>BTW is the mmdf2@relay.cs.net list active ?

> Yes.. we've had a little discussion recently (this week)
> So, anyway.. yes, there's been some activity.  You should probably contact
> mmdf2-request@relay.cs.net again..

Sigh.  Perhaps I agitate for it to be gatewayed (one-way to avoid the wrath
of the MMDF workers :-) into a newsgroup :-)

> er.. ah.. I *am* an MMDF worker.

The only one I've ever seen in comp.mail :-) ? :-( ?

>   MMDF assume
>   the ~/.signature file is suitable for the `phrase' part of the From:
>   line..  take a look at my .signature below ;-))

I've come across news posters that do that too :-(

>-- The traffic on the mailing list has never been heavy enough to justify
>   a newsgroup.

But having it there would inform bulk of MMDF using lurkers, which I think
would be valuable.  Other than in the UK, EUNet is generally against MMDF,
which I think is a shame.  I recently suggested that the new Egyptian
backbone should look at using MMDF (which *I* consider the only viable option
for use by beginner backbones) instead of smail 2.5, and people said
MMDF ? Uggggghhhhhh! or words to that effect.  Sigh.  Information about the
current mmdf work should help to keep the balance.  I don't really see people
using PP for quite a while yet -- I'd have to buy a new disc to unpack it :-)

>-- There is a generally low opinion of MMDF which, as far as I can tell,
>   derives from Olden Days when MMDF was truly buggy.

I was only a user in the days just about when MMDF II just came out, so I
guess I'm too young to remember the bad old buggy days :-)

>   the documentation which is a bit lacking (sigh) ..

And the sample tables which don't work at update #43 (flags=partial) Sigh.
But then again, UCL only distributes update #21 -- I know, I only got a
tape from them a couple of months ago :-(  Then again, that's what the UK
academic community use :-(

> comp.mail.misc is just as good a place as any to talk about MMDF.  If the
> traffic warrants we might just be able to wangle a newsgroup ;-).

We need a few more MMDF gurus.  One David Herron isn't
enough, really.  Anyone else volunteering to help answer questions ? I'll
volunteer to ask them :-) and I know a couple of others who would as well :-)
--
my .signature is on holiday

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/14/90)

According to ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo):
>I recently suggested that the new Egyptian backbone should look at
>using MMDF (which *I* consider the only viable option for use by
>beginner backbones) instead of smail 2.5...

Note that Smail 3.1.19 would also make a dandy backbone mailer.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (09/16/90)

In article <74@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

  [ David Herron wrote: ]
> >-- There is a generally low opinion of MMDF which, as far as I can tell,
> >   derives from Olden Days when MMDF was truly buggy.  Nowadays it is very
> >   unbuggy, except in the documentation which is a bit lacking (sigh) ..

> Tell us another one, David! (Nothing personal... David *did* try to help
> solve *our* problem.) The "officially supported" MMDF II found in SCO UNIX
> (we have ODT 1.0) on our system remains truly unreliable.

Yup, it's certainly not David's fault -- I think he's even given SCO free help
-- the world needs more DSHs, but then this *is* the first time
SCO have done anything with MMDF, and I would argue that when they get it
right, it will prove to have been the right choice.

And this brings up another point, The shipping of MMDF by a major vendor
like SCO is one other reason to draw the MMDF discussion on USENET together,
especially since anyone who tries to muck with SCO's mailers may well
get bitten by their nasty so-called "security" <expletive deleted> and would
be well advised to stick with MMDF for that reason.  Mail suppliers like Ray,
of course are free to do whatthey like, but we aren't all in that business!

My suggestion for an MMDF group has met with some positive and no negative
response, so I'll probably send out an official CALL FOR DISCUSSION sometime
in the next wek or two -- I need a few days to read the official guidelines
first :-)

Any mail on that issue will be very welcome, whether +ve or -ve.
--
my .signature is on holiday

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) (09/17/90)

As quoted from <1990Sep15.212508.11866@robobar.co.uk> by ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo):
+---------------
| In article <74@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
| > Tell us another one, David! (Nothing personal... David *did* try to help
| > solve *our* problem.) The "officially supported" MMDF II found in SCO UNIX
| > (we have ODT 1.0) on our system remains truly unreliable.
|
| Yup, it's certainly not David's fault -- I think he's even given SCO free help
| -- the world needs more DSHs, but then this *is* the first time
| SCO have done anything with MMDF, and I would argue that when they get it
| right, it will prove to have been the right choice.
+---------------

In the meantime: I used that little patch to disable security (c2 -> d) and
then dropped MMDF II #43 into place.  It works fine, as does MH 6.7 which I
installed afterward (with a small hack, pending a response from comp.mail.mh
on a small anomaly I found using the mmdf2 MTS).  (Well, MH 6.7 works almost
fine; I still get core dumps when I use a repl filter, and vmh loves to dump
core, but vmh has never worked under System V and repl filters screw up on the
ACS-1000 using "sendmail/smtp" MTS (actually using a small program that speaks
SMTP and interfaces with smail).)

I STRONGLY recommend FTP'ing MMDF II #43 from louie.udel.edu, if only to get
the manuals.  SCO left most of them out, which makes it really difficult to
configure a working system.

For anyone who wants to install MMDF on SCO UNIX, I can provide the various
configuration files that I used.  I can also provide a small patch to one of
the rcvdir programs that enables it to work with SCO's setuid-"terminal" tty
mechanism; but this is trivial, as the code necessary is already in place.
(4.3BSD uses the same method.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR/KT on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN