[comp.mail.misc] Bogus .UUCP addresses under SCO

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/01/90)

> 1) Why would SCO ship brain_damaged binaries such as this?

Because they're SCO.  Next question?  ;-)

> 2) I thought it was 'rn' that had the .UUCP hardcode bug. Does
> bnews also?

I believe that SCO rn has been modified to get the domain the same way
B News was (see below).

> 3) Is it any wonder so many sites have this flaw (I see them
> daily) if this is the case? [danger: rhetorical question]

Not really.

> 4) How would this user, *with the least effort* get his own
> version of bnews compiled? (i.e. did SCO do weird things to news
> to make it work on their box?)

You don't have to do that.  I'm not sure if this is documented or not,
but if you put your domain name, with a leading dot, in
/usr/lib/news/localdomain, SCO's news will use that instead of .UUCP.
For example, for my site (mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us), I would put
".ann-arbor.mi.us" in /usr/lib/news/localdomain.

FYI, I believe there's a similar file in /usr/lib/news called
"control" or "forward" or something like that, which tells B News
whether to automatically execute control messages, or whether an
administrator should be notified.  The default is to automatically do
everything, which is probably okay for somebody who just wants to type
"custom", config the software, and forget about it -- but probably not
okay for people who actually know something about Usenet.  I can look
around and see what the exact filename is if people are interested.

This works on the version of B News and Xenix that I happen to have
around.  The usual disclaimers apply, of course, and if you *can*
compile News yourself you might want to do so anyway.

--
Marc Unangst               | "da-DE-DA: I am sorry, the country you have
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | dialed is not in service.  Please check the

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/01/90)

I recently exchanged mail with a user down under about his bogus
.UUCP suffix, instead of the correct .oz.au that he showed in
his .sig files.

He told me that SCO had shipped them only binaries for bnews, with the
.UUCP hardcoded into it.

1) Why would SCO ship brain_damaged binaries such as this?

2) I thought it was 'rn' that had the .UUCP hardcode bug. Does bnews
also suffer?

3) Is it any wonder so many sites have this flaw (I see them daily) if
this is the case? [danger: rhetorical question]

4) How would this user, *with the least effort* get his own version of
bnews compiled? (i.e. did SCO do weird things to news to make it work
on their box?)

comments/flames/free_beer?
--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

cat@tygra.ddmi.com (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep30.220547.7205@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
}I recently exchanged mail with a user down under about his bogus
}.UUCP suffix, instead of the correct .oz.au that he showed in
}his .sig files.
}
}He told me that SCO had shipped only them only binaries for
}bnews, with the .UUCP hardcoded into it.
}

All he has to do is put the line ".oz.au" as the only line in the file
/usr/lib/news/localdomain and make the file world-readable. I too have
the pre-compiled SCO Bnews and thats how I got around it.

alan@mq.com (Alan H. Mintz) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep30.220547.7205@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
> I recently exchanged mail with a user down under about his bogus
> .UUCP suffix, instead of the correct .oz.au that he showed in
> his .sig files.
>
> He told me that SCO had shipped only them only binaries for
> bnews, with the .UUCP hardcoded into it.
>
> 1) Why would SCO ship brain_damaged binaries such as this?

I don't know about _brain-damaged_. Not everyone has a registered
domain address. Such sites are usually distinguished by the .UUCP suffix,
which is known to be bogus. SCO provides a service to people without
access to a developement system by shipping a compiled Bnews distribution.

Documentation regarding the configuration used to compile it is sparse, but
I suppose it wouldn't mean much to those requesting it anyway. Exploring
around in the binaries let me patch mine to change the uucp suffix to com.

In poking around just now, I discovered that, if there is a file named
"localdomain" in your /usr/lib/news directory, Bnews will create your
system name by appending whatever is in the "localdomain" file to the
end of the system name as contained in /etc/systemid. Since /etc/systemid
appears in the text portion of the binaries, I suppose that you could patch
it to look elsewhere for the system name as well.

> 2) I thought it was 'rn' that had the .UUCP hardcode bug. Does
> bnews also?

The above seems to apply to all the bnews stuff (UUCP can be found in
most of the binaries.). You can patch them to .COM (or whatever) if appropriate,
or use the "localdomain" file method.

> comments/flames/free_beer?

Yes. No. YES!!!!
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/02/90)

In <95@mq.com> alan@mq.com (Alan H. Mintz) writes:

>I don't know about _brain-damaged_. Not everyone has a registered
>domain address. Such sites are usually distinguished by the .UUCP suffix,
>which is known to be bogus. SCO provides a service to people without
>access to a developement system by shipping a compiled Bnews distribution.

>Documentation regarding the configuration used to compile it is sparse, but
>I suppose it wouldn't mean much to those requesting it anyway. Exploring
>around in the binaries let me patch mine to change the uucp suffix to com.

Alas, you cannot fit "oz.au" in the space "UUCP" provides. The
fellow tried. I did pass along the localdomain stuff, and I'll
wait to see if that helps.

I've got nothing against SCO shipping binaries. I do object to
SCO shipping ONLY binaries.

--

bernie@DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (10/02/90)

In article <95@mq.com> alan@mq.com (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>In article <1990Sep30.220547.7205@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>> I recently exchanged mail with a user down under about his bogus
>> .UUCP suffix, instead of the correct .oz.au that he showed in
>> his .sig files.

Yup, it's me... I've had to bash the Sender: and Reply-To: by hand.
See the bruises? :-)

>> He told me that SCO had shipped only them only binaries for
>> bnews, with the .UUCP hardcoded into it.
>>
>> 1) Why would SCO ship brain_damaged binaries such as this?
>
>I don't know about _brain-damaged_. Not everyone has a registered
>domain address. Such sites are usually distinguished by the .UUCP suffix,
>which is known to be bogus. SCO provides a service to people without
>access to a developement system by shipping a compiled Bnews distribution.

This is very amusing, since the development system was ordered at
the same time from the same distributor.

>Documentation regarding the configuration used to compile it is sparse, but
>I suppose it wouldn't mean much to those requesting it anyway. Exploring
>around in the binaries let me patch mine to change the uucp suffix to com.

Well, 100+ pages is not sparse.  If only I could do what it
promises, if I had the source.  Unfortunately, my suffix is oz.au,
too long to fit in UUCP.

>In poking around just now, I discovered that, if there is a file named
>"localdomain" in your /usr/lib/news directory, Bnews will create your
>system name by appending whatever is in the "localdomain" file to the

Doesn't work on my version, in SCO Unix.

I've tried compiling C-News, but I'm having serious problems.
First, filename length of 14 characters is strictly enforced.  I had
to unarchive the sources on my Amiga (seriously), rename long files
to something unambiguous, and then send them back up.  There are
numerous compiler warnings, from all modules, and include files
aren't found.  I'd post a list of errors, but that's too
depressing.

Has anybody got C-News working on SCO Unix?

bernie

In article <413@tygra.ddmi.com> cat@tygra.UUCP (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) writes:

>All he has to do is put the line ".oz.au" as the only line in the file
>/usr/lib/news/localdomain and make the file world-readable. I too have
>the pre-compiled SCO Bnews and thats how I got around it.

This:
-rw-r--r--   1 news     news           7 Oct  2 22:10 /usr/lib/news/localdomain
contains only this:
.oz.au
to give me this:
	Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc
	Subject: Re: Bogus .UUCP addresses under SCO
It doesn't work :-(  :-(, and I wish it did.

I'm running SCO Unix.  I hear it works for Xenix.

bernie

Put a shell script in front of "inews" that munges the ".UUCP" in the
headers into ".oz.au".

#!/bin/sh
sed -e '1,/^$/s/DIALix.UUCP/DIALix.oz.au/' | /usr/lib/news/inews.real

(been 6 months since I hacked on B news, so it may take a bit more
 work... but the principle is valid: I've done the same to fix mail
 problems here at Ferranti before I got smail running)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct1.011018.10124@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
[...]
>1) Why would SCO ship brain_damaged binaries such as this?

   The .uucp suffix is a Configuration feature of rn.  It is HARD
   wired and there is nothing you can do about it accept recompile
   rn.  SCO is not likely to redesign the 'free' software.

   The Reply-To: line is now obsolete anyway!  Look at the header
   and see how redundant a Reply-To: line would be.  The solution is
   to NOT include a Reply_To: line in your mail header. ( Removing
   this also  requires that you have the rn source and recompile. )

>2) I thought it was 'rn' that had the .UUCP hardcode bug. Does bnews
>also suffer?

	bnews suffers here all the time.  Esspecially when I strap it to
	the rack and lash  it with the bull wip.  ;-)

	( No the .uucp is an rn problem only. )

>3) Is it any wonder so many sites have this flaw (I see them daily) if
>this is the case? [danger: rhetorical question]
>
>4) How would this user, *with the least effort* get his own version of
>bnews compiled? (i.e. did SCO do weird things to news to make it work
>on their box?)

   I think that it compiles almost straight out of the box.  Why don't
   you try C_news instead. if you are going to get the sources you
   might as well stay one step ahead of all the other SCO installations.

   __ALSO__

1) GET trn.  It fixes the rn problem mentioned and you have the *latest*
   source for rn AND trn. (trn is 'threaded read news' and is a replacment
   for rn that includes a thread database facility similar to nn.  Sharp!)

2) NOTICE, that when you save mail in the rn SCO provides it does not put
   in the string of ^A's that are required for Mmdf mail to work?

   The following mbox.saver file comes with trn and should fix the
   mail save problem in rn as well.

-----/usr/lib/mail/trn/mbox.saver--------
: use /bin/sh
# $Header: mbox.saver.SH,v 4.3.3.1 90/08/20 16:30:28 davison Trn $
#
# $Log:	mbox.saver.SH,v $
# Revision 4.3.3.1  90/08/20  16:30:28  davison
# Added support for MMDF format mailboxes.
#
# Revision 4.3.2.2  90/03/17  20:44:54  sob
# Modify Article header to place the colon after Article.
#
# Revision 4.3.2.1  89/11/28  00:05:47  sob
# Branch for RN/RRN combo patches
#
# Revision 4.3.1.2  85/05/20  15:55:37  lwall
# Turned makedir.SH into $5.
#
# Revision 4.3.1.1  85/05/10  11:35:30  lwall
# Branch for patches.
#
# Revision 4.3  85/05/01  11:42:51  lwall
# Baseline for release with 4.3bsd.
#
#
#	Arguments:
#	1 Full name of article (%A)
#	2 Public news spool directory (%P)
#	3 Directory of current newsgroup (%c)
#	4 Article number (%a)
#	5 Where in article to start (%B)
#	6 Newsgroup name (%C)
#	7 Save destination (%b)
#	8 First line of message, normally From...
#
export PATH || (echo "OOPS, this isn't sh.  Desperation time.  I will feed myself to sh."; sh $0; kill $$)

( /bin/echo ""
  if /bin/test "$5" = 0 -a ! "$4" = 0 ; then
    /bin/echo "Article: $4 of $6"
  fi
  /bin/tail +$5c $1
  /bin/echo ""
  /bin/echo ""
  /bin/echo "" ) >> $7
-----End of File------

 +--------
 |  Bill England
 |  wengland@stephsf.COM

  * *      H -> He +24Mev
 * * * ... Oooo, we're having so much fun making itty bitty suns *
  * *

miller@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (J G Miller) (10/05/90)

In article <373@stephsf.stephsf.com> wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com
(Bill England) writes:
>   The Reply-To: line is now obsolete anyway!  Look at the header
>   and see how redundant a Reply-To: line would be.  The solution is
>   to NOT include a Reply_To: line in your mail header. ( Removing
>   this also  requires that you have the rn source and recompile. )

Doesn't this version of rn allow one to specify one's Reply-To address
through the use of the MAILHEADER environment setting?

--
  J G Miller                       telephone:  (519) 679-2111 extension 6325
  Room 024, Chemistry Building      InterNet:  <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA>

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Oct5.001652.17931@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>And goes on to recommend cnews and trn.
>
>As I pointed out, SCO had not given him source. I would not accept such
>either, hence my query (still unresolved) as to why SCO was not
>including the source.

   I can see SCO's perspective on providing Binarys.  After all quite
   a few sites are on the net simply because the binarys were made
   available.  They should ALSO provide a 'developers kit' that contains
   the sources for those files.

   We are, however, lucky that they even provided the binarys ...

>I strongly disagree as to the value of a Reply-to: header. NOT ALL
>SITES accept mail at the posting location. Some *try* to, and often
>fail. For example, there's that little outfit that used to install TWX
>machines, what WAS their name? Oh yes: ATT.... ;_]

  Sure.  Repy_To: is available if needed.  Most sites do accept e-mail
  though and do not need the Reply_To: Line.  Those sites that do need
  a reply_to need it very badly of course.  ;-)

>I had already pitched 'nn' to the oz chap before asking on the net. We
>don't keep {t,r}rn around here any more since nn is used virtually
>exclusively.

   [nn,trn] tis a matter of choice.  The thing I don;t like about
   trn is that you can't follow threads that span news groups.
   (Like this thread for instance.)  I have heard  some talk of
   news group spanning  enhancments to trn though.

   'trn' does have the advantage of compiling under SCO-ODT straight
   out of the box.

   My suggestion to use C News may be a bit premature.   I understand
   that there are some problems with C News file names greater than 14
   chars.  I'm not running C News yet but it is high on my list of
   software to install. ( I might have to make that OS mod for longer
   file names ... Hmmm.)