[comp.mail.misc] Info needed on Prodigy and recent e-mail charges

huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/10/90)

Recently I read that Prodigy began charging for e-mail transmissions.
Today my boss asked me about Prodigy, and he wasn't too happy when I
told him about the charge.  Can somebody tell me where to find information,
preferably published, about the charges?

Thanks.

Steve
Steve Huff, MBA student, University of Kansas  	  HomeNet: 913 749 4720
Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   	          Bitnet: HUFF@Ukanvax.Bitnet
Send_at_your_own_risk_net:  P.O. Box 1225, Lawrence, KS  66044-8225

ahd@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire) (10/10/90)

From article <26036.27125a82@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:
> Recently I read that Prodigy began charging for e-mail transmissions.
> Today my boss asked me about Prodigy, and he wasn't too happy when I
> told him about the charge.  Can somebody tell me where to find information,
> preferably published, about the charges?

Prodigy will start charging for excess of 30 messages a month; I saw
this commented on in S. Katt's Rumor Central in PC Week a couple of
weeks back.

More problems with Prodigy mail:

	No upload/download of files (you can print them).
	It appears one addressee per note
	No timestamp on notes, only date stamps.
	It has full screen editor, but no normal editing functions
		word wrap-- no cut and paste, no global change.
	Messages cannot be resent- you blow an address, you get to type
		the message in again.
	Text lines can only be 37 characters per line, and messages can
		only be 60 of these truncated lines.

I got Prodigy last week, I am dropping it this week.

-ahd-

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  ahd@kendra.kew.com            Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (10/10/90)

ahd@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire) writes:

>Prodigy will start charging for excess of 30 messages a month; I saw
>this commented on in S. Katt's Rumor Central in PC Week a couple of
>weeks back.

According to the talk on Prodigy, the charge is for an excess of 30
*private* messages/month.

>More problems with Prodigy mail:

>	It appears one addressee per note

But you can have one label stand for a list of users

By the way, there are a couple of independently-written utilities to make
Prodigy more bearable - called PRODHP13.ZIP and PRO-UTIL.ZIP. Does anyone
know where I can get these on the internet?

		Steven
--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.