[comp.mail.misc] Applelink to Internet gateway.... ???

rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) (09/26/90)

There is an urgent need to send some files between AppleLink and an
Internet account (this one on Portal, or a few others off UUNET).
Is there a gateway machine that performs this task. If so, what
is the appropriate syntax for this transaction (from both ends)...

Please mail replies back to me (rpa-inc@cup.portal.com).

Thanks in advance...

Ramin Firoozye
rp&A Inc.
San Francisco, CA.

hayes@Apple.COM (Jim Hayes) (10/03/90)

rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) writes in article <34255@cup.portal.com>:

>There is an urgent need to send some files between AppleLink and an
>Internet account (this one on Portal, or a few others off UUNET).
>Is there a gateway machine that performs this task. If so, what
>is the appropriate syntax for this transaction (from both ends)...
>
>Please mail replies back to me (rpa-inc@cup.portal.com).

Well, I think this can be of general use to all.

Our wizard of a postmaster put together the current gateway that
Apple uses to transfer data from AppleLink to/from the internet.

The easiest way to do so is to binhex whatever you want to send
and:
	While on AppleLink, send to: user@internet.host@INTERNET#
				     hayes@ucsd.edu@INTERNET#

	From the Internet, send to: user@applelink.apple.com
				    hayes@applelink.apple.com

While not implemented yet, there are plans to automatically encode
internet "binhex" to the AppleLink attached file format, and, well, vice
versa.  I don't know when, and given Erik's constant load, probably not
for a while.

--
Jim Hayes, AppleTalk-TCP/IP Weenie
Advanced Technology Group, Apple Computer Inc.

Inet: hayes@apple.com		 UUCP: {amdcad|decwrl|ames}!apple!hayes

jwn2@qualcomm.com (John Noerenberg) (10/09/90)

On 3 Oct 90, Jim Hayes writes:

> While not implemented yet, there are plans to automatically encode
> internet "binhex" to the AppleLink attached file format, and, well, vice
> versa.  I don't know when, and given Erik's constant load, probably not
> for a while.

Time out, Jim.  Where can I find out more about the AppleLink attached
file format?  Y'know, there's a whole bunch of folks at MIT, UMinn,
Berkeley, Stanford and UofI (my apologies if I've left anyone out :-))
working on POP-based applications for exchanging compound documents.  All
these approaches are relying on BinHex as the means of exchange (as far
as I can tell).  Seems to me we'd all profit from knowing a bit more about
what you're referring to.

BTW, thanks for the info on the applelink interconnect!

-john

mpm@boombox.micro.umn.edu (Mark P. McCahill) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct9.154525.6073@qualcomm.com> jwn2@qualcomm.com (John
Noerenberg) writes:
> On 3 Oct 90, Jim Hayes writes:
>
>> While not implemented yet, there are plans to automatically encode
>> internet "binhex" to the AppleLink attached file format, and, well,
>> vice versa.  I don't know when, and given Erik's constant load,
>> probably not for a while.
>
> Time out, Jim.  Where can I find out more about the AppleLink attached
> file format?  Y'know, there's a whole bunch of folks at MIT, UMinn,
> Berkeley, Stanford and UofI (my apologies if I've left anyone out :-))
> working on POP-based applications for exchanging compound documents. All
> these approaches are relying on BinHex as the means of exchange (as far
> as I can tell).  Seems to me we'd all profit from knowing a bit more
> about what you're referring to.

I agree. Can you tell us anything more?

Mark McCahill

Microcomputer & Workstation Networks Center
University of Minnesota
internet: mpm@boombox.micro.umn.edu