[comp.mail.misc] Internet/Compuserve Mail

ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca (Duncan Glendinning) (10/16/90)

Is it possible to exchange mail between the internet and
compuserve, and if so, what is the address format (i.e.,
goven a compuserve id, what internet address to use)?

thanks...  duncan
--
Duncan Glendinning         CAnet: ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca, ddrg@gandalf.ca
Gandalf Data Ltd.          Voice: (613) 723-6500

stefan@moot.cs.cornell.edu (Kjartan Stefansson) (10/17/90)

ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca (Duncan Glendinning) writes:

>Is it possible to exchange mail between the internet and
>compuserve, and if so, what is the address format (i.e.,
>goven a compuserve id, what internet address to use)?

There is a guide to mailing between the various nets, and that guide
used to be posted to comp.mail.misc monthly (although I haven't seen
it around for a while).  The following lines come from that guide:

... the general format of mail ...

#F mynet
#T yournet
#R youraddress
#C contact address if any
#I send to "youraddress@thegateway"

... and later on ...

#F compuserve
#T internet
#R user@domain
#I send to ">INTERNET:user@domain"

... and to mail the other way around ...

#F internet
#T compuserve
#R 71234,567
#I send to "71234.567@compuserve.com"
#I   note: Compuserve account IDs are pairs of octal numbers.  Ordinary
#I     consumer CIS user IDs begin with a `7' as shown.

>thanks...  duncan
>--
>Duncan Glendinning         CAnet: ddrg@mentor.gandalf.ca, ddrg@gandalf.ca
>Gandalf Data Ltd.          Voice: (613) 723-6500
>Nepean, Ontario              Fax: (613) 226-1717
>Canada  K2E 7M4

I tried mailing to both of the addresses above, but the mail bounced.

Kjartan

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (10/17/90)

stefan@moot.cs.cornell.edu writes:
   #I   note: Compuserve account IDs are pairs of octal numbers.  Ordinary
   #I     consumer CIS user IDs begin with a `7' as shown.

Small comment: CompuServe userids no longer necessarily start with a
`7,' e.g., 100022.1234@compuserve.com is a form not uncommon in my
gateway logs.

--karl