[comp.mail.misc] CC-Mail a product running under Novell.....

hnt@altger.uucp (Michael Hentrich) (10/16/90)

Hiya,

does anyone know wether this above product is able to be
connected to an UNIX Host which is connected to Usenet/Internet??

We do have a host using for E-MAIL into Usenet/Internet a.s.on..

Another one has a large Novell Network, and they are using
this product called cc-mail.

The objective is: to connect them to us to exchange mail.

We dont have any Novell and dont plan to use it either. We are
more thinking of an Mail gateway using sendmail or sth like that.

Does anyone of you could give us a hint?

Thanks in advance

Michael
Michael Hentrich       c/o  Altos Computer Systems GmbH,Wuermstr.55
                            D-8032 Graefelfing/Munich Western Germany
Voice:       +49 89 85484 50
Internet: hnt@altger.altos.DE Sub:  hnt@altger.alt.sub.org
Bang: ..!uunet!{altos|unido}!altger!hnt
Michael Hentrich c/o Altos Computer Systems GmbH Wuermstr.55
	D-8032 Graefelfing/Munich Western Germany Voice:+49898548450
E-Mail: hnt@altger.altos.de bang:..!uunet!{altos|unido}!altger!hnt

randy@zeppelin.gsfc.nasa.gov (Randy Barth) (10/18/90)

cc:Mail is about to release a product to link cc:Mail to SMTP, but it ain't
cheap.  (We're beta testing it, and it seems to be working quite well.)  There
is also a public domain version of the link available, but it is much more
limited, I am told.

	-Randy Barth, STX, Lanham, MD

jhp@crawford.UUCP (Jay Pound) (10/20/90)

In article <1808@dungeon.UUCP>, hnt@altger.uucp (Michael Hentrich) writes:

> does anyone know whether this above product is able to be
> connected to an UNIX Host which is connected to Usenet/Internet??
>
> We do have a host using for E-MAIL into Usenet/Internet a.s.on..
>
> Another one has a large Novell Network, and they are using
> this product called cc-mail.
>
> The objective is: to connect them to us to exchange mail.

cc-Mail has a module you can order that will link to sites that support
uucp e-mail.  Their address is

	cc-Mail
	2141 Landings Drive, Building T
	Mountain View, CA  94043
	USA

	Telephone - (415) 321-0430

Hope this helps!

Jay Pound
--
Jay Pound			       /     Crawford Post Production, Inc.
jhp%crawford.UUCP@mathcs.emory.edu    /      535 Plasamour Drive

randy@zeppelin.gsfc.nasa.gov (Randy Barth) (10/26/90)

Rod Troch brought up some questions about the cc:Mail link to SMTP.  I
forwarded his questions to developer Richard Kinoshita.  Here are his

>I wrote a cc:Mail <-> SMTP gateway this past summer.
>I started with the info and programs that Al Marshall had made
>available.  I made extensive mods to those progs to support bitnet
>list servers into the bulletin board feature.

Randy,
   Not Bitnet listserve, but it will work with Usenet messages.

>Does the cc:Mail link program have this ability?  Is it able to
>forward a cc:Mail users mail to an internet address?  Can you create

Yes, forwarding is done by making a user remote with the SMTPlink post
office as their address.  Then you can put an Alias address in for them with
the SMTPADMN program.

>mailing lists with internet address (other than wasting a cc:Mail box
>for that address)?

Yes, with the above Alias feature.  I'm not sure what he meant by "wasting"
a cc:Mail box since "r"'s don't use one of your boxes.  Since users can't
put names in the directory yet (and this is a yet) there isn't any way
around it.